Capping "clipped" objects

Hi everyone,

I’m having some issues adding a “cap” to objects I have clipped (i.e. not exposing the inside). I’ve been working through some examples with the stencil functions, and there are a couple of things I don’t fully understand:

First, I’ve read some examples where to create the cap, a quad is rendered using some set of vertices. I’m not exactly sure where those vertices come from or a good way to create them.

Second, it seems like I need to re-render the object for each clipping plane (I am trying to slice a wedge out of a sphere, which would be the intersection of two clipping planes). The problem is that parts of the objects that are not clipped are rendered twice and this gives a “thicker” look at some parts of the object.

Thank you all very much - any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

It sounds like what you really want is CSG, Jeff.

Cass, Thanks for the reply. I’m not familiar with CSG (I’m assuming constructive solid geometry) – is this something I can do in OpenGL or is it just a general technique? Thanks.

Hmmm, it sounds like maybe you’re looking for an image-based solution, perhaps something like OpenCSG?

http://www.opencsg.org/

So I’ve actually found a solution to my capping problem – the only issue is as follows:

I have a sphere that I have clipped to slice a piece of “pie” out of it. To do this, I had to render the sphere twice - each with a different clipping plane. The only problem is that these spheres are partially transparent and when they mix together they get darker and you can see the boundaries between them – I want to blend them together so the two spheres appear as one – is that possible? Thanks.