Microsoft OpenGL bug - any work around?

On all our Gateway laptops and on many different video cards, I have a problem that I can find no workaround. The problem is with a simple MFC-OpenGL MDI application, the Window Creation will sometimes fail partially - leaving a black strip on either the right,bottom or both edges. It is as if, the request to allocate the back-buffer memory partially fails.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks,

Leigh

Got similar experiences, but mostly with ATI-cards. Didn’t find any solutions for this. It doesn’t appear on graphic cards with more than 8 MB, so maybe it’s a memory allocation problem. But otherwise, when such a window is open I can open up a second where it gets the memory.
If you find something, please tell me.

Kilam.

Sounds mostly like a video problem, ie: Most gateway (read: almost all) laptops come with some sort of ATI video chip, and most of them, especially the year-old and further are the Rage II breed - which just plain suck for OpenGL (all kinds of problems and incompatibilities). I even think that the rage mobility chips had problems here and there too. So… check the video chip type and see if there is an updated driver - and pray that you have a rage mobility in that laptop.

Siwko

ATI cards are complete bull****… I have done a texture mapping with original color of the object shining through. Activated on a NT-machine with ATI-driver I get a blue screen! Every other card runs with this effect. There was no newer driver on the webpage, so I tried an older one… with that it worked.

I own an ATI chip, and I have never had any problems with it… except the fact that it doesn’t come with an opengl ICD. It’s a rage iic 8mb.

Yep, Rage IIc is exactly the card which gives me a bluescreen in my openGL app. But only with the newest drivers, which “support” OpenGL.

I have to clear some things. For games this card is ok. The OpenGL ICD is exactly written to work with Quake II. But I got problems with a CAD-system with it. This card is not made for this…

Kilam.

I had programed a simple program and run under WINDOWS 95 and WINDOWS NT4.0:
WINDOWS95 give “ACCESS Violation 0x0005” inside gdi.dll (or gdi32.dll??), sometimes. The software seams to run ok but if you start the debugger you can see it.
WINDOWS NT 4.0 no problem.
I think opengl application will never run under WINDOWS95.

This sounds like the same problem I have noticed. Under Windows 2000, software rendering mode, any chipset I have tested (S3 SavageMX, NVidia TNT/TNT2, Matrox G400) I get a non-rendered “border” in the window when it is wider or higher than about 700 pixels - the extra in that dimension appears black. Works OK under hardware acceleration in all cases. Sorry, can’t provide and answer!

There’s an openGL icd to this card??? lemme go check this out… caus they said they had no plans of doing this 9mnths ago!

Originally posted by Kilam Malik:
[b]Yep, Rage IIc is exactly the card which gives me a bluescreen in my openGL app. But only with the newest drivers, which “support” OpenGL.

I have to clear some things. For games this card is ok. The OpenGL ICD is exactly written to work with Quake II. But I got problems with a CAD-system with it. This card is not made for this…

Kilam.

[/b]

ngill:
Sorry, my fault. It’s an MCD: www.quakeworld.com/gldojo/opengl/glsupport.html

But the functions there are especcialy made to run Quake. I searched the ATI FAQ for problems with OpenGL and I found only tips to get it run with Quake :-/

Kilam.

[This message has been edited by Kilam Malik (edited 08-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kilam Malik (edited 08-07-2000).]

Another thing on the black stripes. I tested around a bit and recognized, that there is no black border in 16-bit mode, but in 256 color and 32-bit mode.

Kilam.

I had a wierd problem with OpenGL also. I have Windows 2000 and a Matrox Millenium G200 AGP with latest w2k drivers. I made a VERY simple OpenGL program that just made a window and rendered nothing to it. The program caused Windows 2000 to bluescreen!!! I ‘fixed’ the problem by going into Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshooting, and lowering the acceleration slider to the second lowest position. Then, the program displayed a black window and froze, instead of causing my system to bluescreen.

Bluescreen message:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xBFC08B34, 0x00000000, 0x0000010C)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
*** Address BFC08B34 base at BFBC1000, DateStamp 38B15788 - G200D.DLL
Beginning dump of physical memory

Wierd, huh?