PDA

View Full Version : how to place objects into video card memory ?

wolfman
06-07-2004, 10:30 PM
The problem I have is the following.
I use glDrawPixel to draw a background but it is too slow because every time it has to transfer data from ram to video buffer.
I search for a solution to place data into video card memory and use it from there.

Obli
06-08-2004, 02:58 AM
Have you tried display lists?
Historically, those things were used to store pixel data in fast server memory. Then texture objects went there anyway, that's my two cents.

SirKnight
06-08-2004, 12:11 PM
DrawPixel is slow as snails. It would be better to use texture mapping. Modern 3d cards are pretty darn good at that. Just draw a full screen quad with your background texture on it and you're set. Just set the appropriate filtering modes as needed on texture load.

-SirKnight

VWeeks
06-10-2004, 10:20 AM
You should search for information on vertex buffer objects.

jwatte
06-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Vertex buffer objects don't help with the transfer rate of DrawPixels.

To get DrawPixels as fast as it can be, you should make sure that your data is 4-byte aligned, and that it is in GL_BGRA format in memory, using unsigned bytes.

However, some implmentations of DrawPixels are still slow, and you'll get better performance by uploading the data to a texture (each frame) and drawing a single quad with the texture on it, positioned correctly, using glOrtho() projection.