PDA

View Full Version : PBO and ATI

elezaza
02-11-2006, 12:48 PM
does anyone know if ATI support now the PBO extension ... I can only use nvidia card for my application because I need to use PBO to stream video to texture.

regards

dreld
02-15-2006, 10:50 PM
No, they don't (checked driver until Catalyst 5.12).
I'm waiting for that feature on ATI too as currently all texture data load to the GPU is basically FSB/system memory speed bound, not limited by PCIe or AGP8. So, what do I need PCIe really for if AGP4x on an FSB800 does the same?
Furthermore, if ATI doesn't need to convert the 3D texture format into a specific internal one (as NVidia does to prevent projection dependent performance drops), they could provide much better upload performance than NVidia does for 3D textures with PBOs.
I know that 3D texture upload is not really relevant to gaming and video processing, but I guess all the volume renderers out there would be happy (and many of them choose NVidia over ATI right now I guess).

dreld

andras
02-17-2006, 06:47 AM
I've been waiting for PBO support on ATi HW for a long time too (just search for PBO and ATI in the archives)! Hopefully someone (Humus? ;) ) will listen to our prayers! :rolleyes: