VBO issue on GeForce 4200 Go (det4487)

Hi,

If I draw two geometries (one using VBO and another without the VBO) then sometimes the geometry that uses the VBO is corrupted : I mean that the geometry is exploded.
The problem occurs only when I mix standard rendering and VBO rendering on a GeForce 4200 Go (det4487).
I test my application on a GeForce 5200 FX and on an ATI 9700 and all is ok.

Have you ever heard such a problem ? If no, what do I do wrong ?

Thanks

I strongly recommend to update the driver. 44.87 is pretty dated for such a new feature.

Originally posted by Sancho:
Have you ever heard such a problem ? If no, what do I do wrong ?
We found the same problem on the Go.

Our solution was to detect the driver version and disable VBOs on older drivers such as the ones you are using.

Newer drivers didn’t give us any problems.

You are totally right !

In fact the problem occurs on a laptop of a friend who insured me that he has the last driver…but it is not the last driver of course :slight_smile: .

I will tell him to update his driver to 56.64.

Thanks for answering to this newbie question.

Originally posted by Sancho:
In fact the problem occurs on a laptop of a friend who insured me that he has the last driver…but it is not the last driver of course :slight_smile: .
There are two problems with laptops.

They use driver versions the desktop public never sees (IIRC nvidia went from 43.03 to 45.23 on their public site, 44.87 was developer only) so you probably won’t have tested on those driver releases your laptop customers are using.

Also laptop drivers have to come from the laptop manufacturer, not from nvidia. So those 44.87 drivers may be the latest he can install! :frowning: You basically have two options; bug the manufacturer to update their laptop drivers to nvidia’s current or find some hacked drivers (Omega?) that allow you to use the standard desktop drivers on your laptop. This makes supporting laptops a bit of a PITA.

Thank you for your explanation

to get the latest drivers for your mobile-nvidia chipset you simply need to modify the .inf file of the newest nvidia driver to recognize your hardware (and maybe add some strange laptop-resolutions, like 1400x1050 pixel for my i8000+2go)
this is the only difference between the mobile and non-mobile drivers. the biniarys are the same…

however, you don’t really need to do it by yourself. there are lot of guys around with too much free time… :wink:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/