BSP (Quake III map) web sites

I am making a 3d engine that supports many types of files, so far it supports q2 q3 and hl models so now im on to the maps. I searching around for BSP tutorials/examples. I was wondering if anyone had any good links? It would be nice to have them for linux/easily ported to linux(uses glut/SDL not win32 api). Ive got the gametutorials.com one(SDL port) but it seems like lag a little, seems that q3a(linux port) runs faster.

Thanks
Nuke

[This message has been edited by nukem (edited 01-30-2003).]

There are zillions of engines out there that load from quake 1 to quake 3 maps. A few that load q3 maps that come to mind are the Aftershock and Titan engine. The “3d engine list” will show a bunch of them. Google will find even more.

-SirKnight

I did find alot on google but the problem is that there all for win32. I really could use a good one thats compatible with linux. In the future im also hoping to use this in a game, a FPS like q3a. The gametutorials one ran a bit slow thats why Im converned about that one. Since I am going to put this in a game should I do anything in the BSP engine? Ive read(forgot the name) something were you have like a 10ftx10ft bmp but you only load the size of the users monitor and the place they want to show on there screen. I was wondering about that and if BSPs use that.

Originally posted by nukem:
I did find alot on google but the problem is that there all for win32. I really could use a good one thats compatible with linux. In the future im also hoping to use this in a game, a FPS like q3a. The gametutorials one ran a bit slow thats why Im converned about that one.

Surely the W32 ones would be suitable - I wouldn’t think that the BSP file format and rendering code would be too dissimilar to the same on Linux. As for the performance of the gametutorials code, why not just use it and optimize the code? It’s probably not optimizing the Vert lists, using VAR/VAO etc. so there’s going to be heaps of room for improvement… (Heck it might even use the good ol glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES); glVertex3f(); glVertex3f(); …)

Isn’t the q3map source public? I can’t think of a better place to learn the q3 bsp format than the q3 bsp compiler. And it should compile under linux.

(Heck it might even use the good ol glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES); glVertex3f(); glVertex3f(); …)

If I remember correctly it does. That code is slow because there are virtually no optimizations done. Also it doesn’t matter if most of the engines or map viewers are in win32 or not. The only thing that will be different between the win32 and linux exe’s are the main function and initialization code. That’s pretty much it for the most part. But as far as reading the map, doing 3d processing, and rendering, it will be the same on win32, linux, mac, etc. Unless you start to run into the big and little endian problems, which probably will happen going from a PC to a mac if I’m not mistaken.

-SirKnight

[This message has been edited by SirKnight (edited 01-31-2003).]