PDA

View Full Version : What to use now? (shaders)

Clancy101
12-09-2003, 02:14 PM
I am starting to do vertex & pixel shaders now, and looks like the OpenGL shading language is not an option for at least 1-2 years since only few cards will support this.

Next option is use Cg, while this looks OK, I am concerned about the performance in a high action game.

This leaves using ARB_vertex_program & ARB_fragment_program since I am pretty sure most cards above a ATI 9500 and Nvidia 5200 will support this.

I was wondering if people use something like Ashli (from ATI) to write the vertex/fragment code then just import that into their programs, or do most people just hand code everything?

Is there something better to use, or is there another option I am not seeing?

TIA!

Ostsol
12-09-2003, 04:56 PM
GLslang can at least be partially supported by -any- video card that supports ARB_fp and ARB_vp. As such, any GeforceFX or Radeon 9500 or greater can support it.

jeremyz
12-10-2003, 08:18 AM
The Cg compiler (cgc) supports multiple
targets (arbfp1, arbvp1, fp30, vp30, fp20,
vp20). You could write your shaders in Cg
and compile to assembly. Using the assembly
as a starting point, you could hand optimize
the more important shaders.

Zengar
12-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Clancy101:
I am starting to do vertex & pixel shaders now, and looks like the OpenGL shading language is not an option for at least 1-2 years since only few cards will support this.

??? What are you talking about? Every card that supports shaders will support GLSlang(that means, GeForceFX and ATI9500 +).

Elixer
12-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Head on over to 3dlabs.com, and you can check it out. I know most cards made this year ati 9500+ & nvidia 5200+ will soon if not now support ARB_vertex_shader, ARB_fragment_shader, but I am not sure they will support ARB_shader_objects yet. I think ATI newest drivers support the above, but not 100% sure. I don't know about Nvidias drivers, but they should also support those also.

Guess it is time to get a better vid card so I can test this out. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif