render on a bitmap in Borland C++ Builder

I’m trying to render on a bitmap in BC++ Builder 5.0. I read in MSDN (which, unfortunately, deals with M$ stuff, not Borland) that the number of bits per pixels for the bitmap should be equal to that in the PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR. So here’s the code:

prBM = new Graphics::TBitmap;
prBM->PixelFormat = pf24bit;
hdc = prBM->Canvas->Handle;   // is this the right handle to use here?

PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd = {
 sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR),
 PFD_DRAW_TO_BITMAP | PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL | PFD_SUPPORT_GDI,
 PFD_TYPE_RGBA,
 PFD_MAIN_PLANE,
};

PixelFormat = ChoosePixelFormat(hdc, &pfd);
if (!SetPixelFormat(hdc, PixelFormat, &pfd))
    ShowMessage("Pixel format not set");

I guess that I got the flags alright. ChoosePixelFormat returns some stuff (so it’s not NULL), but SetPixelFormat doesn’t work. So I wonder what I did wrong?

So far, my main doubts are about the handle “hdc”. In MSDN they operate with DIBsections. - But here, I use Borland’s own TBitmap. Borland fans - does anyone know where’s the problem? Thanx!

Well, i’ve done this before. Not sure, but did you try to use this?

hdc = GetDC(prBM->Canvas->Handle); 

I tried what you suggested, but it just returns hdc = NULL :frowning:

Create a new Bitmap :

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/cgi_directory/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000248

But You have to know the openGL hardware doesn’t work in a BITMAP (only openGL software)

Thank you, I read your code but I was referring to Borland’s TBitmap class. The project I’m involved in requires this task to be completed in Borland C++ Builder…

I could be wrong, I’ve never tried rendering direct to a Bitmap (that’s what pbuffers are for IMO). But perhaps your Depth bits are causing an issue? Set them to zero and see what happens.

Doesn’t work either…

I think I found out the reason of my troubles… I thought that an empty TBitmap would be ok, but it didn’t work. So now I create a TBitmap, then set width and height (by default they are both 0). SetPixelFormat works. Stupid, but true…