Problem with MSI GeForce FX5600

Greetings,

I just upgraded from my BCG GeForce FX5200 (128 MB) to a MSI GeForce FX5600 256MB card. Now, glGetString(GL_RENDERER) returns “GDI Generic” instead of “GeForce” and glGetString(GL_VENDOR) returns “Microsoft Corporation”. All my Nvidia extensions go for a toss. I have 44.03 Nvidia drivers, Pentium4 with 1 GB RAM, WinXP

I’d appreciate any suggestions,

Maniam

This sounds like the same problem I was having. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/009951.html

Make sure you read Mark Kilgards post near the bottom of the thread.

Originally posted by Adrian:

Make sure you read Mark Kilgards post near the bottom of the thread.

I’d read that post. The thing is, at the very beginning, after creating an OpenGL context, I query glGetString(GL_VENDOR), and it returns “Microsoft Corporation”. Consequently all my wglGetProcAddress() calls fail, and I never get to the point of actually doing anything, memory-intensive or otherwise. I have 1GB RAM.

Maniam

Is this happening for one of your applications or all of them?

Post your code that tries to create a rendering context. Try creating a simple window with standard settings like 1024x768 16 bit zbuffer,surely that doesn’t fall back to software? Also try creating an app that just creates a rendering context but nothing else, does that work? you should be able to narrow down the problem by doing those things.