Help me with OpenGL

Ok. I totally suck at OpenGL. I don’t understand anything, least of all Vertex and Fragment shaders. What do I do? I went to NEHE, etc… But they all have tuts, that show you HOW to do something, I want to know HOW it works and WHY. I need to know things like: What is a Vertex shader and why should I use it? Are display lists fast enough to actually make use of them? Why are fragment shaders talked about so much, and what do they do? Why should I learn Vertex and Fragment shaders (Cg in short) if GLSL is about to be released? Why can’t I understand multitexturing? Do you understand my delema yet? I just don’t understand any of it. I do know HOW to draw things on the screen using OpenGL. But when it comes to advanced things like shaders, advanced texturing, lighting, etc, I am lost. Exspecially when speed is of the essence. Extensions blow my mind! Help me please.

The reson this is in the “Advanced OpenGL” subtopic is because I do know the basics of OpenGL, I just don’t understand anything that isn’t basic. I tried google, NEHE, gamedev, etc… But I really just need some things explained to me.

Try reading through this:

http://www.opengl.org/resources/tutorials/advanced/advanced98/notes/

Answering all your questions with depth and bredth might overload this servers capabilities :slight_smile:
If you would like to get into dialog you can message me on ICQ: 32-573-921. Im no John Carmack, but I do know the answers to most of your questions.

Thanks Dorbie, that looks interesting.

I like your offer RAMman, except I don’t have an ICQ account. I look into getting one.