Interesting Observation

I have noticed that if I am running Photoshop 5.0 when I run an OpenGL app my framerate in the app cuts in half. Anyone have any idea what’s up with that? Anyone notice something similar?

Yes, I have noticed problems with photoshop open too. Most of the time, my app loads without hardware accelleration and crawls at about 0.1 FPS. I noticed this only happens sometimes. I think it has something to do with running my app in the VC++6 debugger and/or having my app compiled with debug code, but I never took the time to pinpoint it. All I know is sometimes the app runs fine with photoshop, sometimes it crawls.

I also think one time I had my app open first, then I opened photoshop and if I remember correctly, photoshop just hung at the splash screen.

I wonder if Photoshop is using some sort of OpenGL code or something. Or maybe it has to do with the rendering context you acquire from Windows. The problem is very similar to what happens if you open two windowed OpenGL programs at the same time. I just found it to be odd. It can be annoying when I’m trying to adjust textures and test my app at the same time.

Actually, I’ve had Photoshop hang on the splash screen too, I just didn’t notice if I had my OpenGL app open but that is probably what happened. I was very perplexed when Photoshop ran fine the next day. I thought I had a corrupt installation.

[This message has been edited by DrakanFyr (edited 10-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DrakanFyr (edited 10-13-2000).]

photoshop and a opengl program running together often crashes win2000 for me

What platform and graphics card are you using. Unless I missed something, no one on this thread seems to have mentioned their config anywhere.

T. Burge

Originally posted by DrakanFyr:
I have noticed that if I am running Photoshop 5.0 when I run an OpenGL app my framerate in the app cuts in half. Anyone have any idea what’s up with that? Anyone notice something similar?

I highly doubt PhotoShop uses OpenGL.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it uses
DirectDraw (windowed mode) because of the
homogenous interface to the graphics driver
it gives you for things like blits and
gamma. Or maybe it just opens it directly

So, possibly, PhotoShop and the GL ICD are
competing for some resource (like framebuffer
memory) and not sharing nicely. Wouldn’t
surprise me at all, from seeing the insides
of a number of Windows device drivers…

My rig is a Duron 700 with a GeForce 2. I also get the problem on my work machine- a PIII 600 with a TNT2 M64