OpenGL vs DirectX: vertex buffer performance

Hi all!

I have run several OpenGL rendering tests, and found out that vertex buffer object is the one I have to use (how surprising :slight_smile: ). But I have a little problem. If I do the very same program using DirectX vertex buffers, it’s clear that d3d is much-much faster.

glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, vertexbufferid);
		glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, 0);

glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, colorbufferid);
		glColorPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, 0);

glBindBufferARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, indexbufferid);

That’s, what I do in the init after uploading data to the videomemory, and in every frame I siply call:

glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, polycount, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, 0);

On Ati cards, d3d is 0 to 50% faster, on nVidia the d3d VBO can be up to 3-4 times faster! Is there a faster way to do this with OpenGL or are d3d drivers this much faster?

The data structure in buffers are the same in both cases. Also it looks like ogl is much more CPU dependant.

If I want performance, should I use d3d instead? I really don’t want to do that, please help me…

glColorPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, 0);

Try something different here. Either supply 4-byte encoded RGBA or use another (generic) Array for supplying the colors. I bet, this should solve your problem. Also, try to put both attributes into the same buffer.

Also, make sure you create your vbo as static, it should give the best performance in your case. And of course if we’re talking about a couple of polys and hundreds of frames per second, just forget it and test with bigger data…

-Ilkka

skynet: thanx, using unsigned char for colors helped a lot.

How do I put both attributes into the same buffer?

(FYI: It’s tested with a modell of 44000 vertices.)

Look for InterleavedArrays() in the opengl specification. I believe C4UB_V3F is the right format for your application.

Greetz,

Nico

Thank you all. Well, the d3d port wasn’t done by me, and the one who done it made it with interleaved arrays. Now that my code uses this as well, seems like OpenGL has taken the lead - on nVidia cards there is only a small performance plus, but on Radeon OpenGL really defeats DirectX in this case.

Note that you are not constrained by the pre-defined interlaced combinations only (in fact they are rarely used in practice since the atandard makers don’t bother to add new ones as new vertex attributes are being defined).

You may just use the normal glVertexPointer/glColorPointer/etc funcs and give to them appropriately adjusted pointers and strides. This way you may hand-tune the exact format of your vertex data.

And be sure to use up to date drivers for nvidia boards. Their older drivers (version 40) did not optimize correctly VBO, whereas version 50 fixed a lot of problems.

SeskaPeel.

Originally posted by SeskaPeel:
And be sure to use up to date drivers for nvidia boards. Their older drivers (version 40) did not optimize correctly VBO, whereas version 50 fixed a lot of problems.
Yes, that was one of our problems. After updating to the current driver, everything ran fine.

Btw: how do I do custom interleaved format with glXxxArray? I mean if I select a pointer, I must use 0 to access current binded buffer. Where can I give the offset?

Interleaved arrays example:

struct Vertex {
    float pos[3];
    unsigned char color[4];
};

glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, sizeof(Vertex), 0);
glColorPointer(4, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, sizeof(Vertex), 12);

The color values are 12 bytes into each Vertex, and there are sizeof(Vertex) bytes between each color value.

Sorry, I guess you probably understood that. With VBO, you don’t have to specify 0 as the offset. If a VBO is bound, the “pointer” parameter is used as an offset from the beginning of the VBO. So pointer==0 means start at the beginning, and pointer==12 means start 12 bytes into the VBO. Using a VBO or not is determined by whether a VBO is bound, not by the pointer parameter.

Well, now I understand :slight_smile: Thank you.

Using glDrawRangeElements is always faster than using glDrawElements, since you give more info to the driver.

Originally posted by martinho_:
Using glDrawRangeElements is always faster than using glDrawElements, since you give more info to the driver.
Well, I tried dlDrawRangleElements on modells from 200 polys to 500 thousend polys, but it didn’t seem any faster to me.

DrawRangeElements is not always faster. It may be faster, depending on the implementation. Worst-case, it goes at the same speed as DrawElements.

Originally posted by jimmiwalker2:
[quote]Originally posted by martinho_:
Well, I tried dlDrawRangleElements on modells from 200 polys to 500 thousend polys, but it didn’t seem any faster to me.
[/QUOTE]Well it COULD be in certain cases but it’s not going to be a guarantee that it will always give better performance. Although it’s probably safe to go ahaid and always use it so when your app does do things right there will be an inrease in performance. I havn’t seen any difference either but I still use DrawRange… anyway. :smiley:

-SirKnight

Korval beat me to it. You want a cookie now? :smiley:

-SirKnight

In what cases is DrawRangeElements faster? What does the driver use the information about amount of verices for? I believe you it can be faster - but why exactly?

DrawRangeElements used to be faster with classic vertex arrays. In fact, when you want to draw the content of a vertex array, the driver copies it first in a faster memory zome from the central memory. DrawRangeElements enables the drivers to skip data during the copy. But it’s no longer usefull with static VBO since all the data is already in the video memory.

have a nice day,
nystep

glDrawElements is useful when you are CPU limited. It prevents the driver from having to parse the index array on the CPU to calculate what is the maximum index, which is required since when you specify a vertex pointer via glVertexPointer, you don’t specify the amount of vertices to send to the video card.

Since the size is already specified when creating a VBO, glDrawRangeElements is pretty much obsolete with VBOs.

Y.