manipulating objects (interactive)

Hello guys.

I am searching for a way to display geo data quickly and nice. I want to draw polygons/lines/vertices that define areas and streets, etc. and i want to use multiple layers. E.g layer 1 for the drawing of a country’s boarders and then a second layer to add city vertices and street lines.

One example problem:
I have a lot of polygons that define city areas. Now i want to be able to manipulate a single area by marking it and changing it’s colour.

Is all this possible with openGL and java ?
Are there maybe other APIs which provide such possibilities even more than openGL ?

Sorry i am not into openGL a lot.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Medusa:
[b]I have a lot of polygons that define city areas. Now i want to be able to manipulate a single area by marking it and changing it’s colour.

Is all this possible with openGL and java ?[/b]

Sure it is, but that doesn’t sound like having much to do with OpenGL at all.
You’ll need to partition your world into some areas, then implement some picking algorithm using for instance ray-tracing, then add some functionality so pressing certain keys you’ll be able to change colors of those areas.
gl!

Thanks for answering.

Of course i want to do a lot more.
I want to be able to zoom maps made out of polygons and i want to mark a certain rectangle area on that map and zoom this particular area.
Also i want to manipulate polygons and change some informations on them. All polygons are stored in a geo database and can be changed in some ways.
Actually i indeed only need 2 dimensions, but the speed of opengl seems to be much better than the speed of things like piccolo or SVG.
And if it’s true that all my wished can be done with opengl4java/java3d, etc. then i would use it.

Thx.

[This message has been edited by Medusa (edited 01-21-2003).]