Video Cards and AGP slots

My system is a bit sluggish these days (3 year old 400MHz) and I was in the market of buying a better PC with a better video card. But right now I do not have the budget for a soupped up PC and video card.

I was wondering if I could go out and buy a better video card… GeForce3 or something like that… but the box says it has a 4xAGP bus … will that work on the older systems that they just started making an AGP slot on the mother board as well.

I just want to know if it will work and how bad will it be until I aquire enough $$ to buy the mother board, CPU, …

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance for not posting any more OT questions.

any agp card will work in any agp slot, although ur old agp slot might be a bit slower.

If you plan on using a geforce 3 or 4 then your AGP needs to be AGP 2.0 or higher. That is a minimum requirement that is listed on the box.

-SirKnight

Thanks for all of your responses. I will have to check my AGP slot on the mother board documentation… hopefully it does say it is 2xAGP. All I know, I got the motherboard when I just found out that there was a dedicated AGP slot for the graphics card. It may be 1 or 2 I am not sure at this time.

Sorry, if the topic was OT. I figured that it was a litte more related to open GL than say questions pertaining to C or C++, but not much more.

I am a little brainwashed about the defination of “Advanced”. At the college that I used to attend, they had an advanced computer lab that was so advanced that it did not have any computers in the room.

I wouldn’t pay attention to the word “Advanced” too much.
I have few books of titles such as “Introduction to statistical theory” and “Introduction to Random Field Theory”.
They are far more dificult to read compared to another book of “Advacned Calculus”.
You post may fit more in the “End-User forum” by its nature, rather than Coding fourm. Of course, you can always argue you cannot code properly without a graphics card. Also, you may feel more comfortable with the people hang out in this forum, which I absolutely understand.

Originally posted by iNsaNEiVaN:
any agp card will work in any agp slot, although ur old agp slot might be a bit slower.

Nope. There is AGP Pro which has an extension for extra power. There is also the fact the first AGP motherboards did not provide sufficient power on the data pins so putting a modern card will give you a few beeps and no display. It is the AGP speed that doesnt matter because of backwards compatibilty!

Sorry for responding, but I like hw related questions. Hard to resist.

V-man

Mmm, you’ve helped thug.
Now, thug tells his friends that you were helpful, and his friends tell their friends…pretty soon you’ll be answering questions on fridge freezers. It’s up to you, of course - bugger the rest of us.

Thanks for all of your responses.

BTW I will not tell my friends that someone helpped with a hardware issue at the “Advanced OpenGl Forum” … Your secret is safe with me.

Would it have been better if I would have put an OT in the subject?

opengl.org needs an OT forum. that way everything that gets posted in it is ok.

b

If there is a OT forum it should be split in two. One totally OT and one kinda related to OpenGL.

This is opengl.org. What the hell is this talk of having other forums within this site for off topics? It’s insane, just go to another site for heavens sake, or you’ll have to change the name of this site.

For further Qs, goto

comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (a LOT of experts here)
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

You can goto google groups and find newsgroups for everything.
V-man

it’s just a joke, knackered…lighten up

b

Thank god for that - I thought the world had gone mad.