High-quality transparency in one pass?

I’m looking at making high quality material properties with transparency. The only way I can think to do this currently is a two pass rendering method:

1. Diffuse lighting/coloring/texturing using {GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA}
  2. Highlights from specular light and/or reflections using {GL_ONE, GL_ONE}

The two passes are necessary simply because you can only have one blend mode at a time and different aspects of the lighting require different blend modes. I don’t know of any tricks for getting the same visual quality in a single pass. Does anyone know a way?

There was talk at the OpenGL BOF at Siggraph of blend shaders, but I don’t know anything about those yet or if they would help.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Do the source math in the shader and premultiply the rgb as the net result of src * color + highlights.

Then set outgoing alpha for the destination modulation factor only and use a glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_SRC_ALPHA).

Maybe I don’t understand correctly. Doesn’t that require you to use the color that is already in the framebuffer? I thought gl_FBColor was not implemented.

Originally posted by mogumbo:
Maybe I don’t understand correctly. Doesn’t that require you to use the color that is already in the framebuffer? I thought gl_FBColor was not implemented.
Nope, that’s not what he’s saying.

If I understand you right what you want to is

(dif * tex) * alpha + (1-alpha) * fb + spec

What dorbie is saying is that you can do it with GL_ONE, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA by doing

frag_col = vec4((dif * tex) * alpha + spec, alpha)

Hope it helps

Aha! That makes perfect sense now. And it sounds like it should work fine. Thanks guys.