a bit of selfpromotion

on the first day of spring my truelove gave to me
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/CC/captain_courgette.html

Gave you a temporarily unavailable Yahoo page?
Go you :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh the site is back up again, those screens are sweeeeet dude, two thumbs up :slight_smile:

Nice, you’re now only missing light scattering, HDR, and a fancy GUI :slight_smile:
And yes, you already said you were missing an artist. What most impress me is your ability to design not so LSD-like graphisms.

SeskaPeel.

“The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer.”
too bad

uff, linux. Too bad, you could have been a contender.

These types of engines are really only good for night time environments. I don’t even think that depthmaps are going to be that hot for outdoors. Radiosity is out as well. The best is either lightmaps or plain textures with projected shadowmaps. I like how morrowind4 has solved the problem and host of other games. Sometimes simplicity is the best cure. HDR reminds me of early lensflares and how overdone/unnatural they were. There is a game demo for new console that uses HDR and I can’t even make out the terrain well because it’s so dark. It’s the one where you drive thru country side. I find it annoying to drive thru that in real life so why would I do it in a game?

You don’t have a point.
Of course depth maps work for outdoor scenes. Take a look at battlefield2 for a good example.
As for HDR, it looks good, it looks realistic, and in a driving simulation (which all driving games intend to be, to a greater or lesser degree) it adds to the realism. Also, I find it baffling to hear people comparing HDR/blooming to lens flare…it’s a lazy comparison.
If you find it distasteful, then that’s just a quirk of your taste, not a view shared by many. Most people think HDR is fantastic - I’ve done a survey at the local drugs rehabilition centre, which gave HDR the thumbs up…along with something called tamazipam.

These types of engines are really only good for night time environments. I don’t even think that depthmaps are going to be that hot for outdoors.
check out the videos, theres one without the sun + one with the sun both have total lighting ie doom3 on steroids, i believe the engine is able to render stuff very movielike in quality (maybe not the new starwars movie, but certainly older sci-fi stuff)

on a personal opinion some things that are pushed dont look good, eg the fullscreen glow that u see often used now, i find it doesnt improve the scene.
also fullscreen antialiasing given the choice of that vs running at a higher resolution ild take the higher resolution any day.

what videos? so far all we’ve got is 6 pictures of your engine, and 2 pictures of Doom3 (for some bizarre reason).
Also, I’m not trying to be funny, but are you being ironic when you compare your engines meagre renderings to pre-rendered movie special effects?

what videos? so far all we’ve got is 6 pictures of your engine, and 2 pictures of Doom3 (for some bizarre reason).
Also, I’m not trying to be funny, but are you being ironic when you compare your engines meagre renderings to pre-rendered movie special effects?
1/ u have to email me for them i would stick them on the site but as theyre about 5mb each the site couldnt handle the traffic (it cant even handle it now + its just a page with a couple of pictures)
2/ theres a saying (maybe not) basking in reflected light
3/ Yeah! It’s like goldy and bronzy

Don’t confuse HDRI + bloom, with the infamous and abused glow effect. The first one is pretty realistic and can look very good; in the second one, people generally blur the whole scene and add it back additively, and i’d definately agree it’s the new “lens-flare” fashion. For example, Ghost Recon 3:
http://www.nofrag.com/images/000b2d/
http://www.nofrag.com/images/000b2c/

Y.

Hey that does look pretty good. My first thought was that it looks a bit like plastic. But I read you comments about no artists etc, so I guess a good artist might fix that problem.

The other thing is that is a shame to have such terrible clouds in those scenes :slight_smile: From what I see the lack of good sky is a major short coming.

Also you have a total lack of water. And finally, I think not supporting the windows platform is going to doom you :slight_smile:

But it does look cool, although an actual playable demo would be nice

Originally posted by Ysaneya:
[b]Don’t confuse HDRI + bloom, with the infamous and abused glow effect. The first one is pretty realistic and can look very good; in the second one, people generally blur the whole scene and add it back additively, and i’d definately agree it’s the new “lens-flare” fashion. For example, Ghost Recon 3:
http://www.nofrag.com/images/000b2d/

Y.[/b]
That’s disgusting. The sunlit parts are burned.

That’s disgusting. The sunlit parts are burned.
yeah it is quite bad and the best part it performs worse as well :slight_smile:

The other thing is that is a shame to have such terrible clouds in those scenes :slight_smile: From what I see the lack of good sky is a major short coming.
Also you have a total lack of water
clouds are just a skybox, so u can blame terragen, personally i thing they look quite good + there is water

though i believe everyones making a mistake and judging my game by the static screenshots, the game is a fast action shootemup.
its like comparing doom3 with myst

and i’d definately agree it’s the new “lens-flare” fashion
with pixel shader water a close second

yeah, and people using VBO to speed up rendering, it’s soooo jumping the bandwagon.
Seriously, adding cinematic effects can only be a good thing. Bloom and over-exposure are even being used in movies and commercials now - so games are influencing the look of them, which can only be a good thing.

I hugely prefer 800600 FSAA compared to 1024768 no FSAA … and I have to agree with knackered with quite everything.

I meant the combination of direct per-pixel light + depth maps. Depth maps alone are fine, I don’t have problem with them. However, trying to mimick global illumination or more precisely indirect lighting with direct per-pixel lighting doesn’t do it for me. I don’t have problem with gfx as long as they’re not annoying and don’t prevent me from squinting my eyes while playing the game.

Something else. All of us here concentrate too much on gfx while most games I’ve seen use artistic flare to bring out the best gfx for their particular style of game. Zed’s game shows this perfectly. His terrain lighting is inappropriate for that game imo. It would be more colorful, better looking if he had used lightmaps that bake indirect lighting into it and make the terrain not black or high contrast looking. My sister would say “zed, why does the game looks so dark and depressing in some areas?”. And after all, my sister’s opinion, the one who could buy/play your game is more important than mine who ahhhhs at the pretty per-pixel lighting purely from gfx practitioner perspective.

Originally posted by SeskaPeel:
… and I have to agree with knackered with quite everything.
You said that almost apologetically. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by JD:
Zed’s game shows this perfectly. His terrain lighting is inappropriate for that game imo. It would be more colorful, better looking if he had used lightmaps that bake indirect lighting into it and make the terrain not black or high contrast looking. My sister would say “zed, why does the game looks so dark and depressing in some areas?”. And after all, my sister’s opinion, the one who could buy/play your game is more important than mine who ahhhhs at the pretty per-pixel lighting purely from gfx practitioner perspective.
I agree entirely with you - good point, well made. This isn’t taking anything away from what zed’s achieved here, it looks excellent - but the lighting model in this particular environment is not appropriate.

youre still making the mistake of judging the game by static screenshots. this is a game that is desgned to be seen in motion. view the videos and then respond, until then your posts are illinformed.

also visually how do u merge the two methods lightmapping + depthmaps so they both look the same visual, ie u cant have a tree casting a different shadow to a person? (retorical question).

also what happens when the person walks behind a building’s shadow thats casting a nice shadow onto the ground (with a lightmap) does it also cast this nice shadow onto the person.

Something else. All of us here concentrate too much on gfx while most games I’ve seen use artistic flare to bring out the best gfx
yawn, i was waiting for someone to bring up this inevitable comment, check the the top of the webpage its openGRAPHICSl not openGAMEPLAYl