OT: Advertisment on main page

“Your computer might be infected with harmfull…”
Comon guys, that’s really bad, it’s official OpenGL page, these kind of advertisments are only ok for pr0n sites. I’m soo dissapointed…

Originally posted by M/\dm/
:
“Your computer might be infected with harmfull…”
Comon guys, that’s really bad, it’s official OpenGL page, these kind of advertisments are only ok for pr0n sites. I’m soo dissapointed…

Yes - it shows the decline of this web site in general. Next we’ll be getting Jamster ads with the “annoying thing” taking over our real estate.

Personally, though, I block all the ads using my Hosts file.

[sidenote]Using adblock or edited host file is against rules for most of the sites, as you are taking away hits to ad server and thereby cash for site you are viewing, on most sites you can get even banned for that.[/sidenote]

I don’t share the opinion that fooling people via fake alert windows is an acceptable behavior, especially on proffessional sites like this one. Especially since from information I got 90% of these banners lead to spyware infested programs.

I am realy sorry for going offtopic[/last entry in thread]

I agree that fooling people via fake dialogs is unacceptable behaviour. Especially when alot of these application also install spyware/malware.

If sites don’t like me blocking their ads, then they should have “acceptable” ads (the old Adult(?) Council Ads that were on this site - and the current GL books ads were just fine).

Originally posted by M/\dm/
:
[sidenote]Using adblock or edited host file is against rules for most of the sites, as you are taking away hits to ad server and thereby cash for site you are viewing, on most sites you can get even banned for that.[/sidenote]
Sorry for adding to the OT, but this is complete and utter crap, and mentioning it in this context is irrelevant beyond comprehension >:/

That being said, I agree that you need to choose your advertisers with care. They will contribute to the look of the page.