My OGL code runs slow on matrox 450 why ???

Hi
Every one hope you are all okay. I have a problem my OGL code runs abt 30 fps on intel intergrated AGP card (815EEA2 desktop board) but when i try it on a system with matrox card fps falls to 5 fps. Both systems have the same OS(win 2000) have latest graphics drivers installed. The intel graphics controller has 4 MB memory where as Matrox 450 has 32 MB memory.
So whats the problems. How can i make it work more nice than even the intel graphics controller.
Thanks in advance all of u bye

hello!

you have problems - because
1 - Matrox (pure gl driver)
2 - onboard intel video use 4mb memory to Z and stensil buffers and use system memory to color buffers and other… it cause fillrate bat increase transfer rate betwin cpu and gpu

i have such effect on i810 board - my diplom project hase near 100 000 poligons in frame and i810 show 25-50 fps, and Vanta show 10-15 fps

your scene i think have MANY poligons?

sorry for my english

[This message has been edited by cad_andry (edited 04-19-2002).]

Originally posted by cad_andry:
[b]hello!

you have problems - because
1 - Matrox (pure gl driver)
2 - onboard intel video use 4mb memory to Z and stensil buffers and use system memory to color buffers and other… it cause fillrate bat increase transfer rate betwin cpu and gpu

i have such effect on i810 board - my diplom project hase near 100 000 poligons in frame and i810 show 25-50 fps, and Vanta show 10-15 fps

your scene i think have MANY poligons?

sorry for my english

[This message has been edited by cad_andry (edited 04-19-2002).][/b]

hi
yep am rendering a lot of polygon(tri) but Matrox should increase fps not decrease it.
From where i get opengl drivers for my matrox card i can’t find them any where. If any one know pls tell me.
Thanks for the replies. bye

Originally posted by immy:
From where i get opengl drivers for my matrox card i can’t find them any where.

Latest and WHQL certified . Now that was easy

Because on Matrox vertex data transferted to gpu throw AGP bus, and i815 get it directly from memory (on full memory speed)

drivers u can get from www.matrox.com

cad_andry,
You are claiming that the G450 has hardware transform and lighting. What do you base that claim on?

In addition, you’re claiming that the i810/815 getting geometry data from main RAM is somehow different from how a G450 does it. I disagree.

immy, try getting the RENDERER and VENDOR strings to make sure that you’re not accidentally using the Microsoft software renderer. If that’s not the problem, I suggest using VTune to figure out where the hot spots are, and then seeing if

1. you’re off the fast past, and can make changes to get on it
    or
  2. you need to start a discussion with Matrox driver developers

You aren’t drawing lines are you? I think the Matrox cards does lines in SW, at least soem of the older ones do.

jwatte

of course matrox has no hardware transform a nd lighting and i815 too… but they have vertex-setup engine, to work with poligons, and need vertex data be tranferted to the chip… All geometry operations are proceeded with cpu, BUT resuts must be transferted to the gpu. AGP do it slow (in compare with full memory speed)

Sounds to me like it could be the software openGL engine running.

Originally posted by HFAFiend:
Sounds to me like it could be the software openGL engine running.

Hi
I checked the vendor & renderer strings they return.
Vendor is Matrox Inc.
Renderer is Matrox 440(my card is Matrox 450)

Thanks for the replies

You could still be running in software, the MAtrox driver will fall back to software rendering if it can’t support certain features in hardware. My guess is you’re enabling some state or using a feature that causes a software fallback. Are you doing anything “unusual” (where unusual means anything not commonly done in games, i.e. drawing single textured triangles)? Maybe you’re drawing lines or you’re using a weird blend mode or something? Try toggling stuff on and off and see when it slows down.

Originally posted by harsman:
You could still be running in software, the MAtrox driver will fall back to software rendering if it can’t support certain features in hardware. My guess is you’re enabling some state or using a feature that causes a software fallback. Are you doing anything “unusual” (where unusual means anything not commonly done in games, i.e. drawing single textured triangles)? Maybe you’re drawing lines or you’re using a weird blend mode or something? Try toggling stuff on and off and see when it slows down.

Hi
May be u r right i tried a lot but not as good performance as the intel 815 integrated grpahics controller has. Matrox 450 must have better performance than intel integrated VGA.
I tried a lot of possibilities. Am trying hope there will be a nice way out. Try try again is the best way to adopt.
bye thanks take care

The “vertex setup” stage I’ve only heard called “triangle set-up” before. Typically, this stage takes screen-space coordinates and interpolation values, and can do things like discarding backfacing triangles. While sending this data across AGP MIGHT be slower than plain RAM, it also might not.

The reason is that AGP 4x peaks out above 1 GB/s. Regular SDRAM, such as found in i810/i815 machines, may not be able to keep up. There’s also the problem that the i810/815 has to share texture bandwidth with the CPU and the setup stream and, often, even the frame buffer. Not so on a separate graphics card sitting on the AGP bus.

I concur with the opinion that you’re probably hitting some un-optimized, possible even software, path, in the Matrox drivers. Run VTune on your program and see how much time is spent in the driver, and try to figure out what the driver is doing in those places by reading the assembly.

Originally posted by jwatte:
I concur with the opinion that you’re probably hitting some un-optimized, possible even software, path, in the Matrox drivers. Run VTune on your program and see how much time is spent in the driver, and try to figure out what the driver is doing in those places by reading the assembly.

Hi
Thanks for the reply but i don’t know about VTune. I have not used & even know abt that. So send me some info abt it. Like from where i can get it & how to use it.
Bye Thanks a lot