PDA

View Full Version : saeasonal greetings

zed
12-25-2006, 01:10 PM
summer that is

http://www.zedzeek.com/junk/seasongreeting.jpg
me and my two new christmas friends

opengl 2007 wish list
- opengl3.0 lean + mean (but with a utility library available if the programmer wishes to use it thus immediate mode etc is still there)
- more posts from my two favourite posters korval + knackered, esp the amount of bickering has dropped off recently please make an better effort in the new year

sqrt[-1]
12-25-2006, 02:31 PM
I have no idea what you are holding, is it some bizzare New Zealand thing?

In 2007 I would like to do some actual OpenGL coding. It is a sad fact that I have only been doing console programming at my new company. (hence the lack of posts and lack of updates to GLIntercept)

I sure we can get knackered posting, just prod him a bit - or perhaps he is sulking over losing the Ashes - :)

zed
12-26-2006, 11:46 AM
I have no idea what you are holding, is it some bizzare New Zealand thing?u have the same things in oz, as with most things , bigger but of lesser quality (both taste + alcohol)
i remember my first trip to oz, ~15years ago, walking in the shop + seeing ~$5 for a 4liter cask of wine (nz was $~12), **** theres some mistake here, hopefully the seller wont notice, take it back to the hostel + tell everyone, the reaction 'what a dork', different countries different prices oops.
nowadays the prices are oz ~$10 + nz ~$14, in nz like airfares its one of those things that havent really risen in price.
bah the ashes, overrated. gotta love the urn though, the best tropy in sport.
what is needed is a worldcup of cricket, the whole thing could be done in 6 weeks, 2 pools of 4 or 5 teams == 1 month roundrobin + 2 weeks for the semi + final
alternatively something like
http://www.answers.com/topic/unofficial-rugby-union-world-championships
which seems outta date as the current holders are ireland

V-man
12-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Merry christmas, happy holidays, don't be a scrooge.

Here, it's http://www.saq.com
"The alcohol(ics) society of Quebec"

Been having a green Christmas until yesterday. It snowed 10 to 15 cm.

I wish GL to gain more ground. I wish people will continue to burn fossile fuel. I wish there will be no more winter. I wish I'll have time in my busy schedule to do my own project.

PS : I hate winter

Brolingstanz
12-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Happy New Year! (horns hooting, whistles whistling, confetti flying) :p

Don't quote me on this, but I have it on questionable authority (my own) that we'll see the unveiling of GL3 by Siggraph '07 (just a hunch).

P.S. New year's resolution #1: Get out more often.

RigidBody
12-31-2006, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by V-man:
PS : I hate winter you're not very precise in that point. ok, winter=cold, car not starting, etc.

but also: winter=snow=snowboarding=lots of fun & beer. unfortunately not here, at the moment: no snow, spring-like temparatures around 15°C

anyway, "guten rutsch" to everybody!

Brolingstanz
12-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, take his advice: pull down your pants and slide on the ice! (teehee... wooop!)

zed
12-31-2006, 11:10 AM
my two above friends are gone :(
but ive found another couple :)
friendship nowadays is so fickle

man u can see my scalp in the above foto, time to paint my scalp black!
9am 1st jan at the moment (no hangover which i rarely get anyways, only had a couple of liters of red wine though to help with sleeping mainly cause i knew the neighbours will be making lots of noise until the sun rose, needless to say my gf didnt sleep well, coupled with my snoring + the racket nextdoor)

* shouldnt this be in a blog, oh well its the one time of the year this is permisable i suppose

P.S. New year's resolution #1: dont lead such a boring life
New year's resolution #2: record an album (ive recorded 5 songs so far, but have hit a bit of a creative block, ive started recording ~10 others which is no good, focus zed)

RigidBody
12-31-2006, 11:20 AM
just for curiosity: when i start google earth and zoom in to your coordinates, i see a lot of regularly arranged plants. a vineyard, i guess?

zed
12-31-2006, 03:36 PM
there are vineyards in the region but i believe those are appletrees (now those apple trees to the north + south have been pulled out in 2005 so it shows they dont update certain parts of nz very often)
this was the house we lived in there -41.2796087044, 173.091600087 (now owned by the former allblack prop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Feek btw his girlfriends a honey
) now we're in town

Brolingstanz
01-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Not to give you a fat head or anything, but New Zealand is probably the most beautiful place on Earth. If and when I ever travel abroad, that's my first destination.

knackered
01-02-2007, 03:03 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy new year.
Personally I couldn't give a rats arse what happens to OpenGL in the new year, as I have finally had a nervous breakdown, lost my job, defaulted on my mortgage repayments and am now homeless and sleeping under a flyover with michagl (as he insists I call him).
I will still frequent internet cafe's just to spout rubbish on this forum, pretending I'm a graphics programmer with ready access to the latest technologies.
I vote we all club together and buy leghorn a plane ticket to...anywhere. The poor untravelled sod.

RigidBody
01-02-2007, 03:54 AM
well, so you had bad luck, but you can still make it cool. build yourself a shelter made from old mainboards and graphics cards (preferably nvidia, they seem more stable). spend the day meditating. mumble opengl commands and try to imagine how the output would look like if they were running on a computer. it will keep you mentally in touch with that ogl stuff. let your hair grow and don't shave, this will make you look like a guru and improve your chances to get a new job when economy goes up again.

zed
01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
as I have finally had a nervous breakdown, lost my job, defaulted on my mortgage repayments and am now homeless and sleeping under a flyover with michagl still you gotta laugh

knackered
01-03-2007, 01:17 AM
that's what I tell michagl every night before the death squads do their final sweep of the evening. He just babbles something about progressive meshes.

3k0j
01-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I wish you new gardner, Zed ;)

I also wish Korval's post count breaking 3000.

zed
01-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 3k0j:
[QB] I wish you new gardner, Zed ;) the house is on the market

http://www.greendoor-realestate.co.nz/properties/details.asp?ref=NB386

'The bathroom consists of a wet area shower, hand basin, towel rail and toilet'

comeon its got a towel rail!! I can see this place getting snapped up quickly
the question is where do i live next, i might be joining u + michagl, knackered.

RigidBody
01-03-2007, 01:23 PM
so, what's the prize? and is a flight ticket included?

knackered
01-04-2007, 03:30 AM
new zealand is full of zombies - I saw it in a documentary called Braindead or something.

RigidBody
01-04-2007, 05:03 AM
really? and are you allowed to shoot them or will you be arrested for doing so? is the firearms law as liberal as in the US of A? i don't think it will be big fun to kill a zombie with an air rifle, can i go into a shop and buy something really big...and automatic?

jide
01-04-2007, 05:32 AM
Why beers in New Zealand are in paper boxes ? :D

k_szczech
01-04-2007, 06:36 AM
I saw it in a documentary called Braindead or something.Be carefull with these movies. My friend got brainwashed after watching some documentary movie called saw. :p
RigidBody: Don't worry. I know that law in Alaska forbids mooses to have sex in public but I don't think lawyers have declared any public rights for zombies yet.

Yeah, guess I also needed to let some steam out. ;)

knackered
01-04-2007, 07:12 AM
motorboat fury not going too well then?

k_szczech
01-05-2007, 12:30 AM
motorboat fury not going too well then?Hehe, I wish I had more time for this game - I could implement some shadows and create better sceneries and characters. I have a full-time job and I'm involved in another project, so it ain't easy. Besides, all people I had in the "team" (and there were 4 of them) wrote 0 lines of code, painted 0 texels of textures and made 0 samples of sound. And it wasn't my idea to do motorboat racing game. It was theirs :D It was supposed to be 3-6 months project done in spare time for 3-4 people but it turned out to be 1-year project done by just me.
But guess what - I'm nearly done. Just some minor fixes, 2-3 menus, one more sound and installer. Seems like a few days of work, but taking into account I have only ~5 days per month to work on this game it could take some time. But don't worry - next weekend is just around the corner :)
So, I'm gonna finish it soon and then I'm going to throw up. As soon as I put myself together I can finish my framework and probably start another project.

It's gonna be my first attempt to publish a game (or any product whatsoever) and I believe this is going to be the most difficult part. Anyone has some experiences to share? Should I bomb garagegames or reflexive with mail untill they respond? Or should I make a 400MB trojan horse out of this game and let it spread itself?

knackered
01-05-2007, 01:25 AM
give me a username/password to type in so I can download the demo. I've a vested interest in water implementations, and want to have a play with yours.
I'm not going to email you, just post it here and let us all have a go.

k_szczech
01-05-2007, 03:10 AM
let us all have a goI will. As soon as demo version is out :p
Don't get so excited about the water - it's just standard implementation: reflection mixed with refraction based on fresnel term + specular lighting + foam layer.
I've allready designed better (those long train trips ;) ) - just need to implement it one day before it gets outdated. As I said - wish I had more time.

knackered
01-05-2007, 06:25 AM
I'm not excited...I'm never excited.
I am merely curious.

k_szczech
01-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I think I've found just the publishing solution I was looking for. Garage Games is lanuching new site: http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/
Seems like a portal where anyone can publish his game with a litle marketing kick. I wonder if it will also cover e-commerce.

Ok, but I think I'd better stop talking off-topic here.

RigidBody
01-05-2007, 12:50 PM
jup. i think we need a bit more discipline in this thread :D

k_szczech
01-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Yes, especially in this thread :D

knackered
01-06-2007, 04:42 AM
what? You mean we should stick to the topic of seasonal greetings?
see you in the chinese new year then...

k_szczech
01-06-2007, 05:19 AM
what? You mean we should stick to the topic of seasonal greetings?Hehe, that's a result of sarcastic response to sarcastic response to sarcastic response...

speedy
01-06-2007, 12:47 PM
hey zed, about that pic. - real-time or pre-rendered? :D

k_szczech
01-15-2007, 06:49 AM
I believe it's neither pre-rendered or realtime. It's a new approach to computer graphics called real-life. According to Microsoft 'believers' it's child easy to do such renderings in DirectX 10 and impossible in Direct 9 and OpenGL.
Therefore my 2007 wish list contain one new item: I wish that Long Zheng will have an OpenGL application as his master thesis (I don't even care if he is IT or student at all)

Dont waste your time to read this crap ("throw away OpenGL", "this is not fake") - just look at images:
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060817/directx10-fabulous/
I've seen similar posts all over internet.

And then something about the author:
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4598924090.html
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4123497783.html

Now does Microsoft want to piss me off? Or does Microsoft want a piece of me?

Now I don't have anything against Microsoft's products, but I find their marketing strategies simply insulting.

Zengar
01-15-2007, 07:44 AM
lol

people are sure stupid

p.s. I love office 2007 :-)

V-man
01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
"Dont waste your time to read this crap ("throw away OpenGL", "this is not fake") - just look at images..."

I saw that back when it appeared.
I've seen techy article from big sites about how real DX10 games will look. I find that often they don't behave as journalist but more like children.

On Extremetech, a writer did 2 articles about "gaming sucks on Linux". The second one was more of a flame bate and even another Extremetech writer dennounced him for that.
I'm sure he wasn't fired but yes, he deserves to be.

jide
01-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Aren't playstations 1,2 and 3 running under Linux or at least have development kits under this OS ? I must admit they always were and are since I had the devel kit for PS1 under Linux thought the doc was all in japaneese...

RigidBody
01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
really nice links, k_szczech- i think they really tell us something:

1. in the year 2007, there are still people who do not know that you can have a photograph showing mickey mouse on mars if you know how to use photoshop (although i have to admit it would be much more thrilling if someone found out that microsoft faked those "screenshots" using GIMP)

2. look at the 4th screenshot from the top: directx 10 makes fish look more ugly. well, that's really an improvement.

jide, afaik ps3 is running opengl+linux. it is (probably) only marketing, but sony themselves say that a ps3 can replace a PC. (my guess is that it cannot replace a pc in the very state that it is when you buy it in a shop, but i think it has all hardware capabilities to replace a pc. who knows, when some time has passed, we may see a ps3 booting up into a bootmanager, from where you can select if you want to start the original os or maybe, say, a ubuntu)

k_szczech
01-15-2007, 03:47 PM
(although i have to admit it would be much more thrilling if someone found out that microsoft faked those "screenshots" using GIMP):D
You can actually find first pair of images at Microsoft site - the first one states: "DirectX 9", the other image states: "DirectX 10 concept image" - but in the blog I referred to, that has been removed and further photoshop (gimp?) work has been done (the DirectX 9 image was mixed with it to "prove" it's not fake).

Hehe. I was thinking - If some company would develop a game with great graphics and say that their game uses DirectX 10 - then it would be possible to use such bloggers by sending some screenshots and movies for review. They would be happy to announce that DirectX 10 has proven it's quality. This way such company could gain some more marketing opportunities. Who cares that in the end it would turn out that they use OpenGL+OpenAL + Direct X10 ... for keyboard and joystick? They didn't lie to anyone - they're clean and bloggers have accidentally praised something that Microsoft hates. What a bloody mess... :)

k_szczech
01-15-2007, 04:39 PM
On Extremetech, a writer did 2 articles about "gaming sucks on Linux"Yeah, and I've seen an article explaining why AMD is better for games than Intel. Something about games compiled with SSE optimizations turned off.
I've tried SSE on my 64-bit Athlon. Thanks but no thanks. Dot product on 4-component vector (yes, paragraph aligned) - 11 instructions in SSE path working 30% slower than 19 instrictions in FPU path. I'll have to run these tests on my friend's Intel. I always preferred AMD but seems like latest generation of CPU's may change that. My next will probably be Intel.

It's now more clear then ever:
AMD (+ ATI) + Microsoft = family
And the head of this family is Don Gates?
It's a monopoly threat. The opposing force (the bright side of the force) would probably be Intel + NVIDIA + IBM + Sun but who knows.

jide
01-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by RigidBody:

jide, afaik ps3 is running opengl+linux. it is (probably) only marketing, but sony themselves say that a ps3 can replace a PC. (my guess is that it cannot replace a pc in the very state that it is when you buy it in a shop, but i think it has all hardware capabilities to replace a pc. who knows, when some time has passed, we may see a ps3 booting up into a bootmanager, from where you can select if you want to start the original os or maybe, say, a ubuntu) The fact that it is marketing or not is not a problem (at least for me).

And nowadays, game consoles are just disguised PCs, for most of them.

But I don't know if we'll be able to do a multiboot on them. What I've read is that Sony has made a varying version of Linux, so probably it won't allow other linuces to run... at least until hacker develop the required portability. Due mainly to hardware drivers I guess.

PS: Debian Etch is the way to do :)

jide
01-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Here I found a link:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

Zak McKrakem
01-18-2007, 02:53 AM
I don't know if marketing is important but the fact is that some people "sell" us the idea that transferring OpenGL from the ARB to the Khronos group will be good because they will do a better marketing, better info to developers, etc. The "first" thing have noticed is that this year it will not be the classical OpenGL tutorial at GDC. I went there last couple of years and l was waiting it this year to have information about the "new" OpenGL :(
At least, this year I can attend the DirectX day that was always the same day.