GeForce 4 MX 440

Do all the GeForce4 cards support 3D textures (in hardware) ?
Specifically, does GeForce 4 MX 440 support it ?

I’m thinking of getting an ASUS V8170DDR GeForce 4 MX 440. It’s cheaper than my GF3. As long as it supports 3D textures, I don’t care if it is a tad slower.

thanks,
Karthik

nope, dont seams like that
http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/viewreport.php?report=369

but it will work in SW mode (nvidia supports all things in the 1.3 core i suppose)

Originally posted by Mazy:
but it will work in SW mode (nvidia supports all things in the 1.3 core i suppose)

Hi

how do I enable SW mode? I know the NV20Emulate registry key but it doesnt work on a TNT2. (this is my card at school, not at home )

Bye
ScottManDeath

If you don’t get hardware rendering (which you don’t with 3D textures on a TNT2), you get software rendering automatically.

Originally posted by Bob:
If you don’t get hardware rendering (which you don’t with 3D textures on a TNT2), you get software rendering automatically.

Hi

that means when I get the function pointers for glTextImage3D*(…) using wglGetProcaddress() I will be able to use 3D textures even when the extension is not in the extensions string ?

Bye
ScottManDeath

if you load the non ext function (not ARB or EXT in the end) then yes… with a nice 10sec per frame speed…

The GeForce4 MX seem like basically GeForce2 cores with the GeForce4 memory interface. GeForce2 doesn’t have hardware for 3D textures, nor shadow buffers, nor more than 2 texture units, nor any kinds of shaders…

While it may work in software, it’s not really useable in that mode. I suggest getting an older GeForce3 cheap, or a GF4 Ti4200. Or just wait six months and I’m sure something new and exciting will be capturing all our imaginations :slight_smile:

that means when I get the function pointers for glTextImage3D*(…) using wglGetProcaddress() I will be able to use 3D textures even when the extension is not in the extensions string ?

If you have OpenGL 1.2 or later then yes, since it’s in the core (i.e. not an extension) and therefore is a required feature.