glFramebufferTexture3DEXT and floating point 3D textures?

Hello,
Does anyone know whether it is possible to use gTextureImage3DEXT() to create 3D 32 bit floating point texture and bind it to FBO using glFramebufferTexture3DEXT()?
I am using 7800GT and latest 81.98 drivers. If this is not possible at the moment does anyone have any insight as to when it will get implemented if ever? Thanks.
Igor

I didn’t get your question entirely. But if you are trying to create a 3D texture render target, then i don’t think that any current hardware supports 3D texture render targets. This is just my knowledge and i am not 100% certain, so do confirm it with someone else too.

I am also interesed in it, but I don’t think current FBO supports 3d-texture render target.

I was hoping that someone here knows more precisely whether this is supported or not.

I am experimenting with GPGPU concept, and I had an idea to use GPU for some forward and backward projections in volume rendering just the way it is currently being done on the CPU.

True, I need to render to a 3D 32-bit floating point texture. Goal is to avoid dealing with bunch of slices as a separate 2D textures which would probably limit rendering efficiency.

If you read the FBO spec it says that you can attach 3D textures to an FBO, however, you have bind a slice to a color attachment. So in order to render to a 3D texture, you’ll have to loop and render to each slice.

This brings up a question, there are only 16 color attachements, so how would someone suggest rendering to a 3D texture with more than 16 slices? One option would be to have numSlices/16 fbo’s and switch between the fbo’s as you need them. Another option is to use one fbo and swap the textures out every now and then. That’s just what I thought of quickly, and I’m not really sure what the advantages/disadvantages are of both methods. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Originally posted by brtnrdr:

This brings up a question, there are only 16 color attachements, so how would someone suggest rendering to a 3D texture with more than 16 slices?

Current hardware can output to only up to 6 textures anyway (that’s depth + stencil + 4 color attachments).

So, even though 16 color-attachment-points are defined, you are not able to use more than 4 of them.

Jan.

Doesn’t that limit apply to the number of outputs of a fragment program (which is limited to 4 color buffers), however, is it true that on current hardware you can’t attach textures to color attachments 4-15? Those enums are just “attachment points”, so you should be able to make a call like glDrawbuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT4). However, I realize you can’t have an array of all 16 color attachments and say glDrawbuffers(16,array).

Igor I have a notice about 3D FBO (128x128x128 for my texture)
I think the FBO 3D doesnt run on nvidia
I have a code and it s running on ATI X800 but on nvidia 7800,6800,6600 i have an error when i use FBO 3D
Drivers problem ?

Originally posted by brtnrdr:
Doesn’t that limit apply to the number of outputs of a fragment program (which is limited to 4 color buffers), however, is it true that on current hardware you can’t attach textures to color attachments 4-15? Those enums are just “attachment points”, so you should be able to make a call like glDrawbuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT4). However, I realize you can’t have an array of all 16 color attachments and say glDrawbuffers(16,array).
No, i meant it’s not possible to render to more than 4 color buffers in one operation. Of course you can use the color-attachments 4-15, but you can never use more than 4 at the same time.

Of course it is possible to render to 3D textures with more than 16 slices. Just bind slice 16 to color-attachment 0, slice 17 to attachment 1, …

Jan.

Originally posted by Igor Levicki:
[b] .

I am experimenting with GPGPU concept, and I had an idea to use GPU for some forward and backward projections in volume rendering just the way it is currently being done on the CPU.

True, I need to render to a 3D 32-bit floating point texture. Goal is to avoid dealing with bunch of slices as a separate 2D textures which would probably limit rendering efficiency. [/b]
The current FBO spec doesnt allow for 3D render targets.

And lets say you have a 3D voume, you still have to either slice it or ray trace it… there are no primitives for volume rendering besides triangles…

(1) Why not just brick your volume in a large 2D texture?

(2) Why not use regular ray casting as in the Krüger paper from 2003?