GL2

I bit off topic but… I’m a little tired of waiting. What about you? No new papers, no nothing. I’m begining to loose some faith. Can people in higher grounds (hint hint) give us some clues about it? Dates, ideas, something?!

[This message has been edited by KRONOS (edited 02-20-2003).]

>>higher grounds (hint hint) give
laughing

unfortunately, i’m not one of these higher-ground people, but i’m standing behin you; and i’m sure we are not the only ones, who are waiting; but, if the ARB could work a little bit fast, there would be nice extensions which could be used, todays: GL_ARB_vertex_array for example - “but…hey, ARB-people…are you sleeping??” g

Agree… gl2, or the most wanted ARB_extension this year - ARB_VAO - should be nice to hear somthing about…

Personally, I would rather have a new render texture extension than ARB_VAO…
Both would be better though.

I can’t resist posting to a thread like this . I agree with Nitro, a new RTT extension ( uberbuffer ? ) would be most welcome. From the latest ARB meeting notes, it seems even the HL shading language is close to completion ( release dates are something else ).

Anyway, the only responses we’re likely to get from the “ARB-people” would be “you’re all so impatient” . I’m definitely looking forward to all the new additions to OpenGL.

Isn’t the spec supposed to be presented at SIGGRAPH this year?

@harsman:

hmmm…good question; i’m not sure, where do you get this information from ?

What happened to 3D labs P10 card and their GL2 proposal?

“I decided to try using the prototype OpenGL 2.0 extensions they provide” -JohnC http://www.3dlabs.com/support/developer/ogl2/p10.htm

GL2 is almost ready now, i think it will be so close. ATI said that it’s very very soon.

And…i trying to implement in our engine
two new extensions:

1. ARB_vertex_buffer_object
  2. ARB_pixel_buffer_object

Wanderfull extensions )
Specification already completed!

I think they will be in next release of drivers.

@Cyerbus:

>>1. ARB_vertex_buffer_object
>>2. ARB_pixel_buffer_object

so, please tell all of us: how do you use an extension, which is not provided/supported by the graphic-driver ? Do you write your own graphic-driver ?
that’s the question !??

“my ears are wide open”

Originally posted by FXO:
[b]What happened to 3D labs P10 card and their GL2 proposal?

“I decided to try using the prototype OpenGL 2.0 extensions they provide” -JohnC http://www.3dlabs.com/support/developer/ogl2/p10.htm [/b]

I’m surprised the date says
June 27 2002

I thought that was a year ago.

The P10 is beeing sold as the Wildcat VP (check out the products section) and I beleive you get the GL2 experimental drivers with it.

Seriously, wasn’t this a year ago?

I bought a Wildcat VP in december with the purpose of evaluating the beta OpenGL 2.0 implementation for an ongoing project.

The only GL2 component in the drivers at that time was the HLSL. The HLSL is not completely implemented and lacks fairly important aspects like function calls.

I was mainly interested in the asynchronous part of OpenGL 2.0, nut that was not in the drivers :frowning:

The possibilities of these cards are very impressive, but the drivers are lacking too many features to be useful for me so far. However if you just want to play with the HLSL it is a fun toy, and the 2D quality is significantly better than on “gaming” cards.

Originally posted by DJSnow:
[b]@Cyerbus:

>>1. ARB_vertex_buffer_object
>>2. ARB_pixel_buffer_object

so, please tell all of us: how do you use an extension, which is not provided/supported by the graphic-driver ? Do you write your own graphic-driver ?
that’s the question !??

“my ears are wide open”[/b]

He obviously has access to beta drivers from his favourite IHV.

Originally posted by V-man:
I’m surprised the date says
June 27 2002
(…)
Seriously, wasn’t this a year ago?

No, I remember the date (twas my birthday )

I think GPUs evolved too quickly, so it seems that APIs had a huge slowdown last year but it’s subjective.

@CybeRUS:
Is the spec complete AND approved? If so, why isn’t it in the registry yet? :cry:
Could you send me a copy of the spec, if this doesn’t violate ARB’s NDA? Thanks!

Now I live to see an ARB_vp+ARB_fp implementation of Stanford’s HLSL

Julien.

Originally posted by KRONOS:
[b]I’m begining to loose some faith. Can people in higher grounds (hint hint) give us some clues about it? Dates, ideas, something?!

[This message has been edited by KRONOS (edited 02-20-2003).][/b]

I’m with RADM Grace Hopper on this one.(“It’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.”)

The workgroup has approved the shading language and is finishing the final workgroup draft. The workgroup is still working on the GL2_vertex_shader and GL2_fragment_shader extensions, as well as the GL2_program_objects.

I can understand losing patience, but please don’t lose faith.

(Also, something: GDC Session 205 Advanced OpenGL Game Programming.)

-mr. bill

He obviously has access to beta drivers from his favourite IHV.

Or he hacked servers of his favourite IHV

Originally posted by mrbill:

I can understand losing patience, but please don’t lose faith.

I may have used the wrong word. But I am a little disapointed about the whole subject. All we hear is wait, wait, wait. At least something like: “the ability to do X as been included”, “something can be done with”.

GL2 is very needed. It is obviuos that something is being done, but it should be more open to the community. More revealing…

But, just have to wait… :stuck_out_tongue: