automatic mipmap generation

Hello,
OpenGL programming guide says that you can use gluBuild2DMipmaps() to create a series of textures (mipmaps) that provide extra detail for each level. It also says that each call ‘calls glTexImage*D() to load the images’. Assuming that each mipmap is a separate texture, do I have to create a bunch of texture objects beforehand, so that gluBuild2DMipmaps() could set the texture data for each of those ? I’m not sure how to use that call, is it all automatic and mipmap texture creation/selection/removal is handled by OpenGL or do I have to do it myself ?
I’d appreciate if someone could clarify this for me.
Thank you,

Martin

You can use gluBuildMips… or specify all levels by hand (1st param of tex I think). But if you have GeForce+ use SGIS_generate_mipmap, nice extension, you set the parameter, then call tex with 0th level, everything else is Vcards duty Search beginners forum.

Originally posted by M/\dm/
:
You can use gluBuildMips… or specify all levels by hand (1st param of tex I think). But if you have GeForce+ use SGIS_generate_mipmap, nice extension, you set the parameter, then call tex with 0th level, everything else is Vcards duty Search beginners forum.

same goes for radeon7500 (r100) and up.