newbie confusion, a second of your time please

Ok, I have been gearing up to get into some OpenGL programming for quite some time but the sheer multitude of ways to do it is overwhelming. Here is where I want to go. I want to begin writing simple games and utilities that are easily portable to win32 (I will develop in Linux). Now I thought that GLUT or libSDL would be a great approach to this portability issue. Is my thinking on this correct. To me, many of the windows opengl code seems monsterous compared to it’s glut/C clone (using nehe tutorials as a reference). Just making sure that I am on the right track with my thinking. I would like to eventually write OpenGL apps for embedded systems. Thank you for reading my incoherent post. :slight_smile:

• Joel

Yes, glut is the easy way to go if you don’t want to mess with windows code. Yes, it is portable, so that may be a big plus for you. Glut does have limitations, but it is good for porting some things, and easy to start with.

For simple things glut is good, but if you want to make a large heavily GUI based program (like a level editor, or a modeler) then I wouldn’t bother making it in glut.