New

Hi i am rather new to openGL(although pretty experienced with DirectX “unfortunately”)
I would like your opinions on Glut? Does it really makes things so easier? Do you believe a large application should be created with it or not?
Another question i have involves MS Visual Studio 6. You choose C/C++ Source code or win32???
What exactly are the differences?
Thank you.

In the case of GLUT, it depends on the project,what are you working on?
GLUT is good to use if you want to use it also on Linux or Mac. But also SDL maybe another option to think about.

C/C++ is the language, WIN32 is the target OS you are using… Two diffrent things, C++ is most likly you language choice, in which you will build a win32 application.

I think in VC 6 if you choose win32 it will build a basic windows appication source frame work, which is built around C++ code and their MFC library.

Someone who’s is better with VC 6 maybe correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by Kronos259:
Hi i am rather new to openGL(although pretty experienced with DirectX “unfortunately”)
I would like your opinions on Glut? Does it really makes things so easier? Do you believe a large application should be created with it or not?
Another question i have involves MS Visual Studio 6. You choose C/C++ Source code or win32???
What exactly are the differences?
Thank you.

Close, nexusone.

In VC++ some of the different AppWizards you can use include:

MFC Application.
This lets you setup an app that uses MFC, and you can then further define if you want MDI, SDI, or Dialog-based>

Win32 Application.
This sets up a project that uses the standard Win32 API functions. No MFC involved here. You can further define if you want a project that starts with no files, a project that starts with a barebonew WinMain function, and one that does a full little Window that says “Hello World” on it. Note: This type of project uses WinMain as it’s entry point.

Win32 Console Application
This project creates a console application. This is what I typically use for programming with glut, since it uses main() as the entry point, and that’s generally what you want to use in Linux as well. There’s options in there that let you use MFC with it, but I don’t think that’s often used. At least I’ve never used that. Note: This type of project uses main as it’s entry point.

If you use the wrong type of project for the wrong entry point, you will get linker errors telling you that you are missing WinMain or main, so pay attention to what you want to use based on the entry point you plan to use.

[This message has been edited by Deiussum (edited 04-07-2003).]