16 Bit per component RBG

Is it possible to use/render 16 Bit per pixel (48 bits per component) RGB images with OpenGl? I have a source RGB image which is 48 bits per pixel and I would like to render some graphics into the image and then store it out as a 48 bit per pixel image. What other pixel depths can be used for outputting graphics? What are the lkimitations? Any references on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

With most consumer level gfx cards at present you won’t be able to get any more than a 32 bit pixel format. 64 bit should be with us soon but I guess that doesn’t help you at all! My advice would be to composite your image by generating your overlaid image in 32bpp and pasting that into your scene.

Originally posted by Robbo:

64 bit should be with us soon.

I’m just curious: What are the advantages of 64 bit colour?

Originally posted by Azdo:
[b] I’m just curious: What are the advantages of 64 bit colour?

[/b]

For certain types of images, medical images for example, 8 bits per pixel dos not provide enough dynamic range to represent all the brightness information present in an image. It is in these situations that one has to use a larger nuymber of bits per pixel component.

Originally posted by khan:
For certain types of images, medical images for example, 8 bits per pixel dos not provide enough dynamic range to represent all the brightness information present in an image. It is in these situations that one has to use a larger nuymber of bits per pixel component.

I think the more important driving factor for consumer-level hardware is the fact that multi-pass algorithms lead to accumulated round-off error, which results in banding in the final result. The more passes you have, the more round-off error is likely to accumulate, and the more banding you will have in the final image.