Vertex color effected by texture filtering?

I am curious, I am looking to get a “banded, cell shading” effect by rendering an object w/ a texture (billinear filtered) and a series of greyscale vertex color values. Will the textures filtering destroy the banding effect? If so, or even if not so, is there a way to declare the filtering for the colors of the vertices (to get the desired banding effect). Please note: I will be turning off the lighting, as well as the blending for this.

I think glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST) is what you want. See the red book page 359.

Ok, maybe I asked my question incorrectly. I am trying to figure out how to make it so when I declare the vertex colors of my object, that it dosnt have a nice EVEN blend from one vertex to the next, but a jagged “banding” look to it. And when this is done, if applying a texture that is billinear filtered, over the top of it, will remove the jagged banding.

you could look at the nehe tutorial on cell shading. It uses 1d texture instead of vertex colors that may accomplish the effect you want

If you are going to compute the vertex colors for yourself there’s no problem here, the basic operation ( texture color * interpolated vertex color ) doesn’t change.

If you want to disable interpolation across vertices, use glShadingModel( GL_FLAT ) - cant remember the correct syntax.