directx vs opengl ?????

well…
this question is directed to anyone that has work with either one or be better if both of the above

i have just started a project
which requires me to make a 3D game
(im totally new to graphic or such programming)
im recommended to use opengl
but directx is viable too
(so far, the resources provided to me are all opengl tutorials and source code)
but i will like to know
if there are any major differences between them ?

i have played quite a number of 3D games
and im often prompt to install/update directx
i have never come across opengl that often
in my gaming

does this means that directx is more suited for game programming ?? (i have no idea)
are there any comparison charts available on this ???

need enlightenment
(pls pardon me if anything above mention is out of point or not associated. im very new to this)

1st-
OpenGL is API based, this means it contains only fuctions to call.

DX is COM based, you also need basilar skill on COM objects.

2nd-
GL is cross-platform(linux, mac, win…)

DX is Microsoft only

3rd-
John Carmak mostly (or only?) uses OpenGL.

4th-
In Opengl I took 5-6 months to know well
its foundamentals.
In DX I took 2 years to draw a pixel

Anyway I don’t know if DX is better or worser than GL

Hi !

Please do a search in this forum, the topic has been discussed a huge number of times in the past.

Mikael

People seem to forget that DirectX contains more than just drawing components, but anyway…

Searches are a wonderful thing.

-Mezz

OpenGL is just a graphics API.

DirectX is a whole toolbox of game related COM based programming “modules”.

Direct3d - graphics
DirectSound - sound
DirectInput - joysticks, keyboard, mouse, etc
DirectPlay - network

Just because you use OpengGL doesn’t exlude you from using DirectSound, DirectInput, DirectPlay.

If you have to support any OS besides Microsoft you basically have to use OpenGL.

If you don’t know how to use COM OGL might be a better choice for a faster start.

If you want to use all the lastest and greatest effects on a microsoft OS then I think Direct3d would be easier.

I think there may be more game related source code for Direct3d based games. Granted I’m not sure how DX changes between the versions.

Hell, to be honest I’ve only used OGL and seen code fragments of Direct3d so I’m prob not the best source for you.

Try www.gamedev.net there are probably several flame wars about it going on.

I really don’t think one is better than the other it just depends on your project needs.

thank you for all the suggestions and advice
i will look into this forum for some past threads

Pah, this is a monthly tradition, a dx vs ogl post, lol
Anyway, in my TOTALLY biased opinion OGL r0x… But really, at the moment OpenGL is definitely better for a total beginner because it is so much easier to learn the basics. When getting to the pixel shader level Direct3D is AT THE MOMENT better, but let us pray that OpenGL 2.0 will change that, go 3DLabs, you good thing, GO!

One thing to think about if you decided to try learning D3D. DirectX9 will probably be out soon. If you learn DirectX8, you will just have to relearn everything for DirectX9. (Ok… maybe that’s just a cheap stab at the way MS totally re-designs their API every version.)

Seriously, though. If you learn one, the other will be fairly easy to learn. Both D3D and OpenGL use the same basic 3d concepts. I find OpenGL a bit easier to work with, but I also have to admit D3D8 made things a lot easier to use than D3D7 was.

I use Win32 and OpenGL under WIN32 is based on DirectX (HAL, HEL and so on)
If U mean Direct3D (like OpenGL): Direct3D is more flexible than OpenGL ,IMHO But OpenGL is more easier for beginnerz

Originally posted by MrShoe:
Pah, this is a monthly tradition, a dx vs ogl post, lol
Anyway, in my TOTALLY biased opinion OGL r0x… But really, at the moment OpenGL is definitely better for a total beginner because it is so much easier to learn the basics. When getting to the pixel shader level Direct3D is AT THE MOMENT better, but let us pray that OpenGL 2.0 will change that, go 3DLabs, you good thing, GO!

what exactly is this 3DLabs you are talking about ???

i think you guys are right
an easier one will be the better way out for a beginner

well… i have another question that is not opengl related
what kind of network structure will best suit a 3D racing game ???
im refering to peer to peer, client/server ,etc

3DLabs is the company that is on the ARB and that originally proposed opengl2.0 and are the driving force behind the development of GL2.0, so yeh…

user4e3, if you are a complete newbie then I’d recommend you start programming in opengl with glut. Direct3d is more difficult and you’ll just end up pulling your hair out without learning much. D3d is nice but only when you’ve got a handle on 3d programming concepts. Play around with glut for now. Walk before you run or you’ll end up with broken legs.

Kevin

open gl does have sound and joystic just like direct x but its harder to use

Originally posted by HHHHeeeeLLLLpppp MMMMeeee:
open gl does have sound and joystic just like direct x but its harder to use

Uh… no it doesn’t. You have to use other libraries for using sound and joystick support.