Lightmap blending not working?

Hi, i’ve read a few things on lightmaps and how to blend them and they say to do this:

glBlendFunc( GL_ONE, GL_ZERO );
render lightmap
glBlendFunc( GL_DST_COLOR, GL_ZERO );
render textures

but i tried that, and all i see is the lightmaps on the screen… can anyone help me out with what i may be doing wrong? i’m going insane, it doesn’t make any sense why it’s not blending…

some code:

void GamePlay :: drawLeaf ( int index )
{
	for( int i = 0; i < bsp.bsp_leafs[ index ].n_leaffaces; i++ )
	{
		BSP_Face & currFace = bsp.bsp_faces[ bsp.bsp_leaffaces[ bsp.bsp_leafs[ index ].leafface + i ].face ];

glEnable( GL_BLEND );

glColor4f( 1, 1, 1, 1 );
		glBlendFunc( GL_ONE, GL_ZERO );

glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureArray[ bsp.texturesDirEntry.numElements + currFace.lm_index ] );
		glBegin( GL_TRIANGLES );
			for( int j = 0; j < currFace.n_meshverts; j++ )
			{
				glTexCoord2fv( bsp.bsp_vertexes[ bsp.bsp_meshverts[ currFace.meshvert + j ].offset + currFace.vertex ].texcoord[ 1 ] );
				glVertex3f( bsp.bsp_vertexes[ bsp.bsp_meshverts[ currFace.meshvert + j ].offset + currFace.vertex ].position[ 0 ],
							bsp.bsp_vertexes[ bsp.bsp_meshverts[ currFace.meshvert + j ].offset + currFace.vertex ].position[ 2 ],
							bsp.bsp_vertexes[ bsp.bsp_meshverts[ currFace.meshvert + j ].offset + currFace.vertex ].position[ 1 ] );
			}
		glEnd( );

glColor4f( 1, 1, 1, 1 );
		glBlendFunc( GL_DST_COLOR, GL_ZERO );

glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureArray[ currFace.texture ] );
		glBegin( GL_TRIANGLES );
			for( int j = 0; j < currFace.n_meshverts; j++ )
			{
				glTexCoord2fv( bsp.bsp_vertexes[ bsp.bsp_meshverts[ currFace.meshvert + j ].offset + currFace.vertex ].texcoord[ 0 ] );
				glVertex3f( bsp.bsp_vertexes[ bsp.bsp_meshverts[ currFace.meshvert + j ].offset + currFace.vertex ].position[ 0 ],
							bsp.bsp_vertexes[ bsp.bsp_meshverts[ currFace.meshvert + j ].offset + currFace.vertex ].position[ 2 ],
							bsp.bsp_vertexes[ bsp.bsp_meshverts[ currFace.meshvert + j ].offset + currFace.vertex ].position[ 1 ] );
			}
		glEnd( );

}
}

void GamePlay :: genTexs ( )
{
	Tga24Bit	tgaTemp;
	string		strTemp;

glEnable( GL_TEXTURE_2D );

textureArray = new GLuint [ bsp.texturesDirEntry.numElements + bsp.lightmapsDirEntry.numElements ];
	glGenTextures( bsp.texturesDirEntry.numElements + bsp.lightmapsDirEntry.numElements, &textureArray[ 0 ] );

for( int i = 0; i < bsp.texturesDirEntry.numElements; i++ )
	{
		strTemp = "";
		strTemp += bsp.bsp_textures[ i ].name;
		strTemp += ".tga";
		tgaTemp.loadTGA( strTemp.c_str() );

glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureArray[ i ] );
		glPixelStorei( GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1 );

glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
		glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
		glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT );
		glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT );
		glTexEnvi( GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_DECAL );

glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, tgaTemp.width, tgaTemp.height, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, tgaTemp.imageData );

tgaTemp.releaseData( );
	}

for( int i = 0; i < bsp.lightmapsDirEntry.numElements; i++ )
	{
		glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureArray[ bsp.texturesDirEntry.numElements + i ] );
		glPixelStorei( GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1 );

glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
		glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
		glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT );
		glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT );
		glTexEnvi( GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE );

glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, 128, 128, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, bsp.bsp_lightmaps[ i ].map );
	}

}

You’re drawing the same geometry twice. The second pass will generate the same depth values as the first. With enabled depth test and the default depth test function (GL_LESS), the second pass will be completely discarded. You have to change your depth function to GL_LEQUAL (for both passes) or GL_EQUAL (for the second pass). Or use a polygon offset to increase the depth values for the second pass.

A much better solution, if available, though, is to use multitexturing. Because you need only one pass and no blending. The first texture unit uses the color texture, and the second unit the lightmap with GL_MODULATE.

ahh that worked great for the blending, thanks! i tried to use the ARB multitexture extension but wouldn’t link in Dev-C++.

On windows, you generally can’t use extension functions directly. You have to setup function pointer variables for the functions, and acquire the real entry point from the context via wglGetProcAddress or a similar function. Or use a helper library like GLEW to handle all the nasty details.

yeah, i know about the pointer junk, but it told me i have multiple definitions of the pointer i was trying to declare when i tried to compile… i think it’s because i’m using Dev-Cpp and not VC++ ( even though i have vc++… )