Quick Question:

Win32 and OpenGL go hand and hand right?

What about when you’re programming a game for a game console? Is Win32 not used, while OpenGL is?

I know it’s probably one of the stupidest things you’ve heard, but I’m still very new to this. Until I get a bit more comfy with this whole deal, I’ll probably be asking some stupid questions.

Win32 API is only used on Win32 machines (i.e. anything running 95/98/NT/2000/XP etc) and not consoles (with the obvious exception of the Xbox - but that is a slightly smaller API - the Win32-CE API I believe).

For most consoles you either have to write your own startup code or a small API is provided by the console vendor to get a game environment up and running. It is also worth noting that OpenGL is not always available for consoles to use - sometimes developers have to write your own graphics routines.

But remember Win32 like OpenGL is an API - not a language - you are actually coding in C or C++ or (insert language here). Win32 is just an API that gives you access to system functions (file system etc). OpenGL is an API that gives you access to the graphics hardware. While you can use OpenGL WITH Win32 they certainly do not require one or the other.

[This message has been edited by foniks (edited 05-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by foniks (edited 05-05-2003).]