OT: What is the BEST, SIMPLEST, FAST, etc to create Character and its Animation?

My plan is to create sequence of animation using 3D Studio Max and save as separated display list. Then call them using counter like glCallList(Animation[x]).

What is the pro & con using this technique? How about other technique like keyframe, skeleton, etc? What tools do I need?

If I understand correctly your gonna need alot of space for all those vertices. Better to load up the model and manipulate the verteces instead of getting a whole new set of new vertices for each frame.Maybe I misunderstood thought.

If I manipulate the verteces manualy using translate or rotate, it will be too hard. Imagine I want to make the character swing his weapon, rolling on ground or summon some magic, it will blow my head off! So I need some TOOLS to make my life easier. I don’t care either it’ll take a lot of space or not as long as it is easy.

So could someone please give me any suggestion? Or maybe you could give me any site that have free character, complete with animation and texture

I agree… don’t save the whole animation!! depending on the detail of your character, that much memory allocation is HUGE! (and Slow!)

Here’s an idea…
Cut the model into different pieces: hands, upper arm, lower arm, torso, head, upperlegs, lower legs etc. and then use Matrix Stacks!!

Those will make your life a lot easier.

Could somebody kindly explain briefly what a matrix stack is? It sounds useful, and might help the problem described up top…

isnt there something like Vertexweighting ??? the funny extension, which will take two matrices and then blend the vertices between them( i thin its very good for figures that will move( they should be smooth like in ps2 games ( am i right ?)…

Hi!

Look in the news-archive of the entire site (www.opengl.org) there was an article about INVERSE KINEMATICS and SKELETAL ANIMATION. There are also links to some tutorials about IK…
The article was hmmm… beginning this year or end last year…

Bastian.