The BEST compiler for OpenGL programming

I’m curious to know if anyone has any opinions on what compiler they prefer to use when programming with OpenGl, or even programming in general. I seem to be having alot of difficulties with the compilers I have tried.

There is no “best” compiler, just a compiler that suits you best. It’s all about personal opinions. Many seem to prefer MSVC. I prefer MinGW32. The compiler itself is not very crutial. It’s generally the developer environment that is important. I prefer using a good editor (w. syntax highlighting etc) + Makefiles. I have found that that way I can easily adopt new environments, and my projects are easy to port. Over the years I have compiled programs under AmigaOS, DEC OSF/1, Linux, Solaris, DOS, OS/2 and Win9x/NT (over 13 compilers in total), and I’m really glad that I didn’t stick with a special developer environment with its special project files etc, or I would not be able to compile my old projects as easily as I can now, and learning new environments & compilers would be much more difficult.

OK, that’s my opinion based on my experience, my needs and my priorities.

To find a list of compilers, editors and IDEs (integrated developer environments), see this page . Most of them are free, so you can try them out yourself.

Borland C++ 5.02 is all I need in order to write Windoze programs using OpenGL. However, as for myself, I want to try out MetroWerks CodeWarrior before I decide which compiler is the ‘best’ for me.

GCC is always the best. For Win32 you may look at the MinGW port.

I don’t care about the compiler as much as I care about the IDE. I prefer the Dev-C envirenment. It doesn’t have a fancy wizard bar (as of 4.0) but it does have an openGL template.

Something to think about…

g++ is the best and using kdevelop as a front end makes it even better. but kdevelop is only for linux you can get g++ if you get cygwin. i have a few compilers and the one i like the best is g++ it gives you more control and for me is even easyer to use.

I agree that the gnu tools are the best choice, because you can compile gcc as a cross compiler, which allows you to compile a windows executeable on linux and vice versa.
I prever VIM as ‘IDE’. (can be found at www.vim.org)) - without doubt the most powerfull editor.

just my 2 cents.

ya i forgot about vim i make many programs in vim as well. but i just find kdevelop alot easyer for large programs its more like VC++ with the class views and such.

I use bloodshed’s dev-c++
IDE is good and uses the gcc compiler, which is by far and away the best C/C++ compiler…

I have that too, dosnt it use g++/gcc? gcc only dose C g++ dose C++/C.