Why use openGL?

Hello, I am new to openGL and C++. I wonder why use openGL to draw graphics or 3D. Doesn’t c++ have it’s own functions to draw graphics or 3D. What else(library) I can use for c++ to draw graphics instead of openGL?
Does the user have to install openGL in order to use the programs that written with openGL?

Is openGL the best choice?

Thank you!

Alan

“Doesn’t c++ have it’s own functions to draw graphics or 3D.”

No. C++ is too platform independent to have crazy notions like “drawing” and “graphics”.

“What else(library) I can use for c++ to draw graphics instead of openGL?”

There are a few other alternatives out there. If you writing code that lives in a window, then the windowing system will likely give you some basic drawing commands (nothing 3D, though).

If you’re interested in 3D stuff, however, OpenGL and Direct3D (Windows only) are your only choices. Obviously, most people here prefer OpenGL, but that is a debate for another thread.

“Does the user have to install openGL in order to use the programs that written with openGL?”

Yes, you will have to install whatever OpenGL drivers your particular graphics card (assuming you have one) needs. If you’re on a Windows platform, you will also need the OpenGL libraries. If you’re running Win98 (and maybe Win2K) you already have them.

BTW, if you’re new to C and C++, I would suggest staying away from OpenGL or anything much to do with graphics for a while. You should get the hang of just programming in a low-level language first.