Math help

Now, i don’t know if i’m the only one who has come across this problem. My knowledge of GL is enough to draw a cube on screen (i can’t believe i’m THAT GOOD ). But i lack the most simple math knowledge (i studied more languages at school :mad . Now my question is this: Do any of you know of some place where the knowledge of math related to OpenGl can be grabbed easily? Maybe not THAT easily, but now it happens to me, that, wherever i find nothing. Mostly trigonometry and linear algebra.

Any help will be kindly aprreciated.

Thanks very much

Alejandro (el_flipis)

Hi,
there is a little tutorial about vector and
matrices in: http://nehe.gamedev.net/trentp/gametutorials/lesson02.asp

It is not very good; But it is good for beginner.

bye bondi

and if you are through the beginners stuff here is where most of your math needs can be satisfied
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

or ask the allmighty google; found nearly everything i needed

and a search through this forums will provide you with even more information

[This message has been edited by satan (edited 05-27-2002).]

Thanks very much. I took a look at the two links and the later looked quite interesting. Very exhaustive. I’ll try to learn the kind of things i need to be able to make more than a cube in GL !!!

I’m off to study. Thanks a lot, guys!!

Zed3D is a good introduction to basic linear algebra and algorithms used in 3d-graphics. Theres even some discrete math in there.

Just one more question and it will be all. Do you really need to learn that much maths to make some good GL things? I just ask because i’m not good at all at calculus, and i know i’ll have a hard way if i try to learn a lot of maths. So, do you need to be Einstein to make GL?

Thanks

you have to know at least the basics of vector and matrix math (some people here call this linear algebra but for me linear algebra is a hell of a lot more than only vectors and matrices)
and it does not hurt to know a little more than the basics (esp for the fancy stuff)
but i think best is learning by doing
after you learned the basics do some coding and you will see what math you need for your projects
btw most of the stuff is not that hard

Well, believe me, i really hope it’s not that much. As for matrices ops (adding and sort), it’s not that complex. Trigonometry is a bit difficult for me. (hard-headed guy) . Anyway, i want to AGAIN thank you all for:

1.- Be so kind and try to help
2.- Not saying “u stupid newbie, go buy a first degree math book”
3.- Encouraging me to go for it (Sometimes, while looking at C++ code, i feel like giving up, expecially under Win32)

Thanks a lot, really. I hope i can do it. At least a small tic-tac-toe game, and i would feel real well.

Keep up the good work!!!