PDA

View Full Version : How to display truetype text as quickly as possible?

Xiaofeng
01-11-2002, 11:45 PM
I find that Autocad 2000(or 2002) displays truetype text very fast, however, when i use function "wglUseFontOutlines" to display truetype text in windows 2000 platform, when the string length exceeds 50, I will find a significant slow down when building the display list.

If there is some way to display truetype text in opengl. The text extrusion can be ignored.

Thanks for your attention!

mikael_aronsson
01-12-2002, 04:18 AM
Hi !

One way is to lower the resolution of the outline font, less vertices and it will render faster (and look a bit less nice, it all comes with a price).

Also make sure you render it as fast as possible, disable lighting depth buffer, thins that you don't need.

If that's not enough, then I guess you have to look into other solutions, font textures are one of the fastest way, but it's a bit more messy and can use up a lot of memory if you need lot's of characters.

Mikael

DarkWIng
01-12-2002, 10:16 PM
or you can try rendering truetype fonts to texture at loadtime and then use bitmap fonts.. this way you get best of both sides.. speed and custom fonts

Jambolo
01-13-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by DarkWIng:
or you can try rendering truetype fonts to texture at loadtime and then use bitmap fonts.. this way you get best of both sides.. speed and custom fonts

...using wglUseFontBitmaps