Very strange, very frustrating problem >:-(

Ok, I have been working at this one ridiculous problem for about the last 4 hours and I’m just about ready to headbutt my monitor.

It goes like this; I have a Java class called GameLevels which has a method called displayLevel(). I have another class called GameMain which extends Applet and contains a private inner class GameCanvas which extends GLAnimCanvas.

The problem is that whenever I call myGameLevelsObject.displayLevel() from within the display() method of GameCanvas, the applet says that it loads fine, but displays nothing.

The weird part is that I have deleted EVERYTHING in the GameLevels class and the displayLevel() method - the method is doing absolutely nothing. All that is in the GameLevels class is an empty displayLevel() method.

As soon as I comment out the call to displayLevel(), everything is back to normal and the rest of the graphics for the game (player model etc.) are rendered perfectly.

W.T.F. is going on?

I am using the J2SE SDK 1.4.1 with GL4Java 2.8.2.0.

It seems that this forum does not respond well to frustrated postings. Thanks for all the help.

No problem…

Maybe one day some of us will look at learning Java…
But your best bet maybe is to try a Java site, or search on Java openGL.

Originally posted by sw@T:
It seems that this forum does not respond well to frustrated postings. Thanks for all the help.

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-11-2002).]

Try getting help using VB like I use. These guys only use C++.

try www.j3d.org

I used basic when I first learn to program, then I learned to use a real programming language…

Originally posted by John Jenkins:
Try getting help using VB like I use. These guys only use C++.

It seems like you know what the problem is by that comment, I would really appreaciate it if you shared the solution.

I do not pretend to be an expert programmer, that is why I am posting in the beginner forum. I do however, think that I have ample Java coding experience for the task I am undertaking.

I apologise if my frustration offended anyone.

Originally posted by nexusone:
[b]No problem…

Maybe one day some of us will look at learning Java…
But your best bet maybe is to try a Java site, or search on Java openGL.

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-11-2002).][/b]

First there is not enought code for me to even start to guess the problem…

Try posting the whole program, so we can look at it.

Originally posted by sw@T:
[b]It seems like you know what the problem is by that comment, I would really appreaciate it if you shared the solution.

I do not pretend to be an expert programmer, that is why I am posting in the beginner forum. I do however, think that I have ample Java coding experience for the task I am undertaking.

I apologise if my frustration offended anyone.

[/b]

swat, to solve your problem, I’m guessing that you’ll find the most help on the gl4java mailing list.

Looks like the sourceforge mailing list is here:
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=602

and it’s also archived here:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/704/2002/

—j

Also have a look at the forums at http://www.javagaming.org/

—j

Thanks a lot everyone, I’ll see how I go

I have a lot of java experience but not that
much with GL4Java in particular.

Could you post some code, it would help a lot.

My first guess would be that you maybe forgot to recompile the GameLevels file?

You don’t have an old copy located somewhere
else do you(in your classpath)?

Is GameLevels an extended class? If so, do you know what the parent constructor does? Any static initialization?

Mathias