resolution

Hi,
I’ve created computer models of textile fabrics using opengl and vc++. However I need to get the images right in terms of scale i.e to exact real dimensions. In real fabrics the diameter of a thread is of the order of 0.1mm. However even at the highest screen resolution on my computer I can represent a minimum dimension of around 0.2mm only. Can anybody propose a solution? For instance I read that a pixel can be composed of several texels. Is it possible to specify coordinate locations in texels rather than in pixels?

One thing that people starting out making a CAD type program, is that a computer display is not in real dimensions but virtual dimensions.

1 pixel does not = 1mm

I can in my program make 1 pixel egual 1 mm or 100mm depending on what I need to draw.

We make two types data:

1. Real data… 1mm = 1mm or 0.1mm etc.
  2. Screen data… 1 Pixel = X

In order to seem our 0.1 mm thread on the screen we need to make it a size we can see.
So when we draw our thread of 0.1 mm, in screen terms it may equal 2 pixels wide.

So maybe a fabric would look something like this on the screen:

XOXOXOXOXOXO

OXOXOXOXOXOX

XOXOXOXOXOXO

OXOXOXOXOXOX

Each charactor = equals one thread, one pixel.

• = cross weave
    X = thread one
    0 = thread two.

I hope this gives you an idea.

Originally posted by roshan:
Hi,
I’ve created computer models of textile fabrics using opengl and vc++. However I need to get the images right in terms of scale i.e to exact real dimensions. In real fabrics the diameter of a thread is of the order of 0.1mm. However even at the highest screen resolution on my computer I can represent a minimum dimension of around 0.2mm only. Can anybody propose a solution? For instance I read that a pixel can be composed of several texels. Is it possible to specify coordinate locations in texels rather than in pixels?