PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL and Web ?

08-19-2000, 05:19 AM
Hello.
This is the first time I read about OpenGL.
I found a great tutorial, that I will walk through. But I have a question.

I am planning an interactive website with a 3D model. Should I use openGL or is there other maybe more powerful tools to use. Tools like java, VRML ?

Bob
08-19-2000, 07:48 AM
OpenGL is no programming language, nor is it a script engine or whatever. It's a set of functions you call from different languages (like C/C++, Fortran, BASIC). There are some OpenGL-bindings for Java. This is probably what you want to look at. Sadly, I have to address to give you, just search for it.

Me
08-21-2000, 11:20 AM
VRML is OK, but I have a sneaky suspiscion it might just be a microsoft thing that won't work elsewhere. But I don't know.

One thing I do know for certain is that Java3D is REALLY easy to use (much easier than OpenGL) although its performance is not the best. Take a look at http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/index.html

Java3D has a really nice way of representing things, using a scene graph - this leads to a very easy to understand object-oriented way of thinking.

Problem of course is that people would have to download the Java3D class files from your site the first time they looked at the page...

Kilam Malik
08-21-2000, 11:04 PM
I downloaded Java3D and installed it. Now my browser crashes when starting Java3D applets. Great work,
SUN!

Kilam.

john
08-21-2000, 11:30 PM
blame sun. good move.

Epidemi
08-22-2000, 04:12 AM
You can always use the WildTangent SDK which is a full featured 3D engine for on the web... it is however an ActiveX control (i guess), so you can forget about running it on platforms t not created by M$

Kilam Malik
08-22-2000, 05:07 AM
Just tested GL4Java... looks amazing good. Link is on the homepage of opengl.org.

http://dev.knowledgeassociates.com/hodglim/nehe/nehe.shtml

As it's a wrapper to reach the original OpenGL functions in the system, it is pretty fast. And it works on Windows, UNIX and a Macintosh port can also be found there.

Kilam.

[This message has been edited by Kilam Malik (edited 08-22-2000).]