3d face

ok,i have never done any 3d/opengl stuff before, and i am quite new to c++ but anyway…

i am entering a competition which requires an animated character. I want to use c++/opengl/glut maybe to make a very basic 3d face, and was wondering where to go from here…

i have no experience of modelling in 3d or anything, so is it best to to the coordinates in c++, or use a program to create the face?

I would like features such as the mouth to move in correspondence with instrcutions, but this can come later…

i have visual c++, so maybe i can use mfc to keep it easier.

any help would be appreciated (i have 4 months to learn/implement!)

Quote:

ok,i have never done any 3d/opengl stuff before, and i am quite new to c++ but anyway…

OK. You should start with some simple models and understand the meaning of the translation, scaling and rotation on them. GLU, GLAUX, and GLUT have some functions to draw such models.

Quote:

i am entering a competition which requires an animated character. I want to use c++/opengl/glut maybe to make a very basic 3d face, and was wondering where to go from here…

Drawing a simple face is possible with the OpenGL quadrics.you can use from the spheres, cones and cylinders to draw such a face. then you can use from the glTranslate(), glRotate(), and glScale() functions to animate the face

Quote:

i have no experience of modelling in 3d or anything, so is it best to to the coordinates in c++, or use a program to create the face?

The best solution is to use from the other softwars such as 3DMax. you can darw a model with such softwares and then import it. you can see a great result in this situation

Quote:

I would like features such as the mouth to move in correspondence with instrcutions, but this can come later…

the models that you draw with the other softwares, can have many frames. as an example the frames 1-10 can simulate the mouth animation. but because they have a few frames, you should use from some linear equations to get the smooth animation.

You need to use from an API-such as GLUT or Direct3D-to interact with the mouse.

The best reference is the book * OpenGL game programming*

-Ehsan-