Save OpenGL sequence as MPEG

I am intereted if it is possible to store an animated OpenGL sequnce in a format like e.g. MPEG. Has anyone some experience?

Hi !

There are two ways to do it, you could get a library that can you give the frames and it generates the MPEG file for you (www.sourceforge.net and www.freshmeat.net is a good place to start looking), the other way is to save all the frames as images to disk and get a tool thattakes the images and generates the MPEG file for you, there are a number of those around, you might want to have a peek at the resources page at www.povray.org

Mikael

Thanks for the replay. Ok, way no. 2 seems for me to be straight forward. Saving the scene as images (using e.g. glReadPixels(), right?) and generate the movie. But way no. 1 is not clear for me: Does there exist a library which directly grabs the frames? If yes, what is the name of this library?

Dominik

Hi !

You need some kind of MPEG encoder library, you will still have to get the frame with glReadPixels or something and feed it to the encoder, but the encoder does all the dirty work of combining the frames to a moview.

I am not sure what the best library is, it depends a little on if you need platfotm independence and so on, but as I said search google, www.sourceforge.net and www.freshmeat.net for “mpeg encoder” or something like that.

Mikael