3D Studio Models with Bitmap Textures

Do any of you comedians have any links to textured (bitmaps) 3DS models?

Since you have the same internet search aviable as I do, I would suggest you start there…

I found a cool site with free nude female models, just too lazy to type the URL…

Originally posted by rangers99:
Do any of you comedians have any links to textured (bitmaps) 3DS models?

Sure!
www.google.com

Thanks for the kind replies you muppets.

Trouble is none of the models I find use bitmaps. Yes tifs, jpgs etc but not bitmaps.

The loader I use only accepts bitmaps. And yes Ive tried converting the jpegs to bitmaps and it doesn’t work.

Originally posted by rangers99:
And yes Ive tried converting the jpegs to bitmaps and it doesn’t work.

That won’t work because the .3ds model is expecting .jpg’s. It shouldn’t be too hard to replace the bmp loading code of your .3ds model loader with code that will read in .jpg’s also. Honestly, I think this approach would be easier than scouring the net looking for models that use only .bmp images…

Good luck!

thanks mate.

Ive looked at the 3DS loader code and to be honest I dont have a clue how to modify it to use, for example, jpegs.

Ive tried loading the jpegs into PaintShopPro and saving as bitmaps but an error is given when I try and load them into an OPenGL program.

Is there an easy way to save the jpegs or tifs as bitmaps such that they will be accepted by the 3DS loading code?

(Replies from Muppets are welcome)

[This message has been edited by rangers99 (edited 04-10-2002).]

The .3ds files contain the paths to the textures. If it expectes image.jpg and you rename it to image.bmp it wont find the texture. You could however replace any .jpg with a .bmp in the 3ds file and rename the image files. That is possible since the paths are stored with nullterminated strings if i remember correctly.

Michael

Thanks for the suggestion.
How do you change the *.3ds file? Im really new to this stuff. Will a simple text editor do the trick?

I wrote my own 3ds file loader and the way I apply textures is that I load my own textures, jpegs, bmps, tgas, XXX, you name it. And then apply it to my model…

I completely ignore the texture file I am supposed to load that my 3ds file tells me…

A simple suggestion, dont use jpegs or bmps… Use pngs or tgas.

And as someone said above, dont try going on the web looking for models that use jpegs… My picture may pop up, or you are going to waste your time… He he he…

I am going to post a little tga file loader to download later today, so if you want to get it, go to 141.217.140.88/miguel

Give me a few hours 'cause I am doing homework

Also, go to sourceforge.net, and do a search… They have lots of projects… Although I have not found one texture loader that I liked…