Maya Models in OpenGL

is it possible to create a model with maya, something simple like a table, and some how use it in your OpenGL scene?

i know this method is used all the time, i just dont know how, i am just a beginner with OpenGL so i am looking for a simple solution, if one exists.

thank you

brian

the handling of files - model data is up to you. OpenGL renders primitives for you but what and how they are assembled/ appear is up to you - so you have to write a model “importer” or get one (I’m sure there are some out there). You will then read the imported model data and send it to opengl for rendering

You need to learn Maya’s file format or some other format. 3DS is popular. Search for lib3ds. It includes example for GL.

With something like Maya you write an exporter rather than attempt to understand and read their format.

So if you’re interested in exporting from Maya I expect you want to brush up on your MEL scripting and delve into their programming interface.

Originally posted by V-man:
You need to learn Maya’s file format or some other format. 3DS is popular. Search for lib3ds. It includes example for GL.
Do you mean maya can export to 3DS ? Great !! Or do you mean it’s necessary to export a maya format into 3DS with an extra exporter ? not great…

"Do you mean maya can export to 3DS "

It doesn’t internally support it, but I’m sure there are plugins.