What do apps like Maya3d use for the final rendering when completing a scene ?

In other words do they use OpenGL throught the whole rendering proccess or just for the viewer ? Also do they use OpenGL for the whole procces when rendering images for let’s say a movie or not ???

P.S. Please excuse this post if it’s in the wrong area. Thanks in advance.

I guess it depends on the software, and what it is used for.

I think right now, openGL is only used for a preview rendering. But as video cards have got faster and processor power, you will see more raytraceing effects done in real time with openGL.

The final images say for a move will be done with a raytraceing render. OpenGL on its own does not do raytracing, it just simulates light effects.

Now you will see raytacing type effects, like shadows and reflections, done with openGL but they are not the same as a raytraced ones. Since openGL has to process the scene many times to get the effects.

You now can find 3D engines that support raytacing effects done in real time using openGL. As I have said due to the increase in speed of the video cards and processer.

Originally posted by dsfh24:
[b]In other words do they use OpenGL throught the whole rendering proccess or just for the viewer ? Also do they use OpenGL for the whole procces when rendering images for let’s say a movie or not ???

P.S. Please excuse this post if it’s in the wrong area. Thanks in advance.[/b]

some apps let you specify a renderer (ie Direct3D, OpenGL, Software, etc)

b