how to use OpenGL > 1.1

In Visual C++, for exemple, we can use OpenGL 1.1 but there isn’t any library to use OpenGL 1.2 or laster. Where can we found this library ?

The openGL library’s are written by the compiler maker, in your case Microsoft.
Since openGL is completing with Direct X, Microsoft has not updated the openGL library for there compiler.

You can work around this by using extensions to access to newer features past 1.1, since most of the newer openGL video drivers support the news 1.2+ functions.

We can wish that openGL got the same break as SUN Java, in that microsoft has to maintain the newest versions of Java on there OS.

Originally posted by Groove:
In Visual C++, for exemple, we can use OpenGL 1.1 but there isn’t any library to use OpenGL 1.2 or laster. Where can we found this library ?

i know that :
“You can work around this by using extensions to access to newer features past 1.1, since most of the newer openGL video drivers support the news 1.2+ functions.”
but it must have a mean to use the OpenGL video drivers support we any library … no ?

Do you understand what you have asked and then answered?

If you know about using extensions then what is your question on how to use openGL above 1.1?

Not sure of what you really are asking?

Are you taking about the source code for the openGL 1.2+ library’s?

Originally posted by Groove:
[b]i know that :
“You can work around this by using extensions to access to newer features past 1.1, since most of the newer openGL video drivers support the news 1.2+ functions.”
but it must have a mean to use the OpenGL video drivers support we any library … no ?

[/b]

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 12-26-2002).]

Sorry i am french …
To use OpenGL 1.1, i use gl.h and gl.lib of Visual C++, but it is OpenGL 1.1.
To use OpenGL 1.2 and last version, i think it must be have the same file (gl.h and gl.lib) but with the drivers of video card, there haven’t this files (gl.h, gl.lib)

No, to use 1.2+ functions you define function pointers and point those function pointers to entry points into the driver by using wglGetProcAddress. If you look for glext.h, you should find that all of those function pointers already have #defines in it and all you have to do is to create an instance of the appropriate types, and use wglGetProcAddress.

It’s not as simple as a new gl.h and opengl32.lib because the 1.2 functionality isn’t available in the Opengl32.dll, but rather is available in your card’s driver DLLs.

If you still don’t understand what I mean, do a search on this forum. This topic has been discussed a billion times already.

[This message has been edited by Deiussum (edited 12-26-2002).]

oki !
As Quake 2 !
thank :slight_smile: