Infinite depth ?

Hi

I want to make a virtually infinite volume world. With X and Y there is no problem because the limited angle of view. The main problem is the depth…

How can I fix that?

Note: I don´t need to see an infinite depth world but when I move “inside” and “outside” the world some things seem to disapear. It is for a spacecraft simulation.

I don’t see depth is being your problem as much as how you store the data for your world.
First you should setup your world data in sectors. in your view space you keep a four sector maps loaded at all times. Each sector is divided into four smaller area’s.

Since the veiwing depth of the user is limited, you are now only left with tracking the user position in space and call the correct map of that sector he is in.

As the user moves to close one edge of a sector, just load the next sector in before it is in view.

Originally posted by jrbcast:
[b]Hi

I want to make a virtually infinite volume world. With X and Y there is no problem because the limited angle of view. The main problem is the depth…

How can I fix that?

Note: I don´t need to see an infinite depth world but when I move “inside” and “outside” the world some things seem to disapear. It is for a spacecraft simulation.[/b]