import maya?

can anyone give me a hint on how to convert a maya file to be used and manipulated in opengl? I have read somewhere that opengl can import the .obj format of maya, but is not sure how to do it. can anyone help or point me to some guidelines?

I have read somewhere that opengl can import the .obj format of maya

you have read something that is not true. opengl cannot load files. you must load the file yourself, with stdio (C) or fstreams (C++). you must parse the file yourself, using the file specification as a guide. then, when you get to some type of geometry in the file, you can pass vertices, texture coordinates, etc to opengl for rendering.

b

OpenGL does not have any object loading routines in its API.
But there are routines writen by other users that will load OBJ files and other formats.
Nate Robins web site has a OBJ file loading routine in his openGL examples.
Just do a search for “Nate Robins OpenGL” and his page will show up. A good place to start.

Originally posted by tapiocaflash:
can anyone give me a hint on how to convert a maya file to be used and manipulated in opengl? I have read somewhere that opengl can import the .obj format of maya, but is not sure how to do it. can anyone help or point me to some guidelines?