GLUT on Unix

I am a opengl newbie. My friend gave me a book that does most of its tutorials using the glut library. Up to this point, I have done all of my programming on Unix using the gnu compiler. Thus far, I have been unable to link the glut library in unix. I want a very portable program, but do I have to be more specific and use glx?
thanks all.

You’ll need to post a hell of a lot more information before anyone can help you.

Like, what kinds of things have you tried, and what errors did you get? What sort of Unix are you using? Linux? Solaris? HPUX?

I am actually using unix through telnet. I could not find the GL libraries on our users library directories, so I installed into my own account. when compiling, it isn’t finding the library.(cannont find/include file: <GL/glut.h> )- I have tried a direct link path and everything.

I am actually using unix through telnet.

And how on earth do you expect to run your application?

And this doesn’t tell me what kind of Unix you are using. What does “uname -a” say?

when compiling, it isn’t finding the library.(cannont find/include file: <GL/glut.h> )- I have tried a direct link path and everything.

Assuming you are using gcc, and assuming you put GL libs in ~/opengl, so that glut.h is actually ~/opengl/GL/glut.h, then you should do:

gcc -I~/opengl/ …

Again, if you want help, you should copy and paste at the very least the following things:

[li] exactly what command line you are using to compile.[/li]
[li] exactly where you put the OpenGL libs.[/li]
[li] exactly what errors you are getting.[/li]
[li] exactly what sort of Unix you are using.[/li]
Assuming that people are clairvoyent is a bad assumption.

[This message has been edited by rts (edited 11-05-2001).]

just F.Y.I.:

gcc -I~/opengl/ …

gcc won’t expand ~/ into {$HOME}/. At least, my version of gcc won’t do that.

(~/ expansion is only done by the shell, and only when ~ is preceeded by white space.)

cheers,
John

p.s. you can still run opengl applications though a telnet connection ~provided~ you’re also running a x server. But, if you’re doing that, then you may as well fire up an xterm …

just because I’m a whiner…

why does everyone forget to mention BSD?

<– is a BSD junkie

&also

There are freebie X Servers available for Windows systems. It’s a back-asswards approach and there’s no chance you can have acceleration - you’ll have to use software MESA… but you can still do it. Most X servers for Win either have no authentication restriction so any client can connect to them, or you can disable the auth. HobLink (www.hobsoft.com), XSecure Pro (?), and PC X-ware (www.ncd.com) are some that I’ve messed with that are pretty decent. XSecure Pro seems to put the focus of the mouse cursor in the middle of the pixmap for some reason I don’t get? Or maybe there’s something else happening I don’t get… but yeah. They’ll all do the job but nothing can beat a real X desktop with DGA, utah-glx or DRI working.

[This message has been edited by halber_mensch (edited 11-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by halber_mensch (edited 11-05-2001).]