Anisotropic materials in OGL?

I have never seen any example regarding anisotropic materials in ogl. id like to see it for example on some velvet it would look pretty nice i do this in packages like 3dsmax however id like to have it in realtime within opengl and i know its possible but i cant find any docs about how i should go to emulate / simulate this kind of materials in opengl

thanks in advance

You need to use shaders to accomplish this, the fixed function pipeline just doesn’t support it and there’s no tangent space representation to drive the calculation without a shader either.

Here is an example of anisotropic lighting implemented using shaders:

http://www.codesampler.com/oglsrc/oglsrc_11.htm

Thanks!
but uses CG it is such a bigg (but baddass) dll! my game is like 200kilobytes and why should I have the people to download an almost 2MByte dll for playing it?? its absurd im afraid :frowning: :frowning: any way of not using CG? or something smaller or just no dll at all? no way?

Cant it be done with GLSlang? how can I use this? thanks again srry for my n00blance

There appears to be some glslang code at the link I offered. I didn’t look too closely.

Oh its just that when i clicked i just saw lots of examples using “cg” what is the diference between cg and glslang???

There are some differences.

Here is a tutorial on glsl:

http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/

thanks everyone for the help!
i will study all this indeep and see if i get something good out of it

i just want to use glsl though and not nvidia’s because it seems like more direct to opengl and also easier to me i guess so

whats better though?
i cant find a comparison list with limitations of glsl and the such.

I would opt GLSL, because it became the standard for OpenGL. I think a knowledge of GLSL would benefit you more in the future.

thanks yes i think so
but im trying out all the options first!
so far havent got much help on gsls on this forums so i wonder if it would be the right choice if i have no support (people willing to help if i get stuck or dont understand something for long)