What is opengl 2?

Hi,

Last time i got into opengl it was like 1.4 or something. Is version 2 out? Is it just a matter of updating graphic card/drivers to use it?
Any info would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
Thanks

Originally posted by onemind:
[b]Hi,

Last time i got into opengl it was like 1.4 or something. Is version 2 out? Is it just a matter of updating graphic card/drivers to use it?
Any info would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
Thanks[/b]
A gl implementation can be versioned 2.0 if it fulfills all the specifictions of the 2.0 as stippled by the ARB.
From 1.5, as far as I know, there’s very few or no adds at all, but some bugs removal (and additions :wink: ), and normally, the ability to get rid of all the extensions, that become normal functions (but that could even be taken as extensions).
From 1.2 or 1.3, there are additions like programmable pipelines and putting it all in objects. You can freely download on this website all the specs for 2.0 since years now.

Hope I didn’t make too much errors.

Yes and no.
You can download GL2.0 enabled drivers from your vendor’s home page. For nvidia however, they support GL2 on linux and solaris but not on win32 last time I checked.
You obviously need a video card able to handle it. I guess Radeon9600 is the minimum, at least to have it “nicely” accelerated.

Cool, thanks guys :slight_smile:

I think i’ll head over to my cards page to dl the new drivers and see what happens. :slight_smile:

One last question. If i dl the drivers and they implemented gl2, when i make that call to gl info or whatever its called, will it say opengl 2.0?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

If i dl the drivers and they implemented gl2, when i make that call to gl info or whatever its called, will it say opengl 2.0?
Yes, at least for me, they say “2.0.0 NVIDIA 76.64”.
I don’t know what happens if you don’t have hardware support however - but I guess this is not a problem for most people.