How to Install OpenGL (HELP PLEASE)

I have Windows XP and also Windows 95 , laptop and desktop respectively. I cannot find a program that is called opengl to even start coding on. I have a program due in a computer graphics class I am taking this semester and I cannot find the .exe file or anything what should I do? Help Please

• use C++
  • include the libraries or
  • reference a book called OpenGL a primer by Edward Angel

Maybe think of another line of work?

Anyway nuff of being a smart a$$.

OpenGL is not a program or a lanuage per say, it is a group of standard routines for programming 3D graphics.

The OpenGL like its counter part Direct X, a driver based graphics API. The drivers for openGL are supplied by the graphics card mfg, so if it is openGL needed to be installed for a game to run. Then you have to visit thier website and see if they have openGL support, not all video cards do.

To start programming with openGL you need the following a compiler that supports the openGL libraries, example would be Microsoft Visual C++ ship’s with OpenGL library and header files. Also Borland C++ and Delphi programming laguages support openGL.

You will also need a video card that has openGL support, nvadia, ATI video cards both
have it.

Once you a compiler, a site like nehe.gamedev.net would be a good place to start for tutors on openGL.

Originally posted by Endia:
I have Windows XP and also Windows 95 , laptop and desktop respectively. I cannot find a program that is called opengl to even start coding on. I have a program due in a computer graphics class I am taking this semester and I cannot find the .exe file or anything what should I do? Help Please

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 12-11-2002).]

pops up briefly for fear of being flamed, just to say…

OpenGL is not just limited to C#, it is also available in Java, which is what I use, and apparently it is just as good… depends on what language(s) you know really

Music_Man

Speaking of which - how does GL run on java anyways? I ran some personal tests a few years ago for science fair and java’s performance sucked.

Oh but back onto the topic, if I was you I would do one of two things:

1. Ask your professor for help

or 2) Install redhat linux (http://www.redhat.com) and use g++ to compile your opengl. But thats just me…

It is only slightly different to run OpenGL on java. The only difference I have noticed to c# is having to write all the GL stuff as e.g. gl.glEnable(GL_LIGHTING); instead of just glEnable(GL_LIGHTING). Well, that and also the fact that I had to install GL4Java from www.jausoft.com in order for my machine to be able to display, but thats just part of the setup… Am working on a 3d maze at the moment… due in in 24 hours… I can email you a copy when I’m done if you want… the code is not particularly neat, but it works… :wink:

Music_man, I think you mean C++, not C#. C# is just like Java in that you cannot have functions that are not part of some class. OpenGL in C# is also kind of ugly, as you need to use a 3rd party library. And that 3rd party library also requires you to do things like gl.glEnable(whatever);

You don’t have to download the OpenGL drivers for you video card to use OpenGL. Microsoft has provided opengl32.dll with Windows since Windows 95b, and you can get it for the original release of 95 from the MS website. It provides a “generic implementation” if you don’t have the GL drivers for your video card installed. The generic implementation, being pure software, can be a little slow, but for simple applications, it works OK. There’s certainly no need to go out and buy a GeForce4 just to display a spinning cube.

Hi!
To know in detail, mail to,

mishuk@agnionline.com